Water, Gas & Electric

GrosAve

Hello all,

I'm not a frequent visitor to this site but I do browse through from time to time.

I have a flat that I rent out and on the whole it is pretty low-maintenance and stress-free. One area that provides problems the most is water, gas and electricity. For example I've received a call to say there is no hot water and the lights in the lounge and bathroom don't work. They have checked new bulbs and the boiler seems to set correctly.

As I don't live near and I am a non-DIYer in all areas I'm considering using a service like British Gas CP12 and Homecare. British Gas.

Has anyone any thoughts on this or know of a more cost effective service? Whenever I call out the local company they have a £50 call out charge.

Many thanks

Try speaking with a local firm to see if you can set up a contract with them below the British gas standard rate. Make sure you go to one who is recommended by such a professional body as the Guild of master Builders for your general work and chose a plumber who deals with gas services and is recommended by a professional body in your area.

By setting up a local contract ask for the call out fee to be removed, as they are guaranteed your work and money each year.

Hope this helps.

My Son has his own heating & plumbing company and I know he has at least 4 landlords who live too far away to be keep on travelling to their properties to fix minor faults.

I think he charges £10 to cover local fuel & time for minor faults such as tenants not turning up the room thermostat for heating...... and reporting they have no heating!!

This is probably one of the best ways of covering your property against the problem of living too far away. Try to locate a good local recommended heating engineer to act on your behalf.

The BG scheme is OK but it does cost and the cost does rise annually. Up to you really how you go about solving your predicament.

A service like BG Homecare may seem expensive but gives good 24 service on spare parts, as I have experienced.

I get an annual service of all appliances and new gas certificate on same 3 hour visit.

Smaller companies may offer cheaper service terms but this may be offset by call-out charges and higher spares costs, sourced through their wholesalers.

For me Homecare covers everything from gas supply meter through to hot taps and all heating components. Probably would do electric light bulbs also - a few years ago gave me some free low energy ones and a free electricity use monitor.

This may sound all well & good on paper but is it REALLY necessary ?

Apart from a gas central heating boiler what appliances actually need an annual service ? None of the appliances I have in my own home or any that I supply in my rental properties have ever had an annual service.

Fact is that in rental properties the vast majority of maintenance is going to be plumbing & electrics.........and most landlords could write an accurate list of what those mantenance issues are going to be....these are gonna be mainly ball valves, immersion heaters, taps and the occassional electrical fault.

There are things you can do to make your life easier eg

* Make sure everything is functioning BEFORE the tenants move in.

* If you live in a hard water area fit a water softner.....there are lots of cheaper products available.

* Find a plumbr & electrician you can trust to carry out any maintenance........and stop paying unnecessary fees until there is actually something wrong wrong, you are only wasting your profits. Property DOES NOT need an annual mot test or service its not like a car.

Apart from a gas central heating boiler what appliances actually need an annual service ?

May be none, but with tenancy I opt for peace of mind:

Gas fire in living room gets annual full clean and reseal to chimney flue and chimney smoke tested.

Gas cooker hob cleaned and igniters checked and replaced if necessary.

Gas meter checked for leaks and, as has happened, replaced f.o.c.

Boiler programmer checked and upgraded with modern digital one.

(Note: Gas appliances were original installation - not owner choice.)

No problems (yet!) with ball valves, immersion heaters, or electrics.

* Make sure everything is functioning BEFORE the tenants move in.

Agree entirely - and also checked annually by inspection.

One more thing to add to the list... ensure the tenant is given operating instructions to the boiler!

One thing is showing them how to operate it, but if they move in during the summer - will they remember when the first cold weather sets in?

I've gone as far as compiled a 'property manual' for the flat which includes everything from the list of tenants responsibilities vs landlord's responsibilities to operating manuals for everything; boiler, oven, etc... A bit over the top perhaps, but I think it's a time saver for both parties. The tenants can read it on their leisure and if they forget, it serves as a quick reference guide.

Absolutely agree! A manual is not OTT at all but a common sense aid for care of property.

My property guides cover all installed appliances, heating controls, recommended settings, references to suppliers instructions, stop cock locations, electric trips, smoke alarm batteries, recycling info., emergency phone numbers, etc. etc.

The guide is an inventory item to be kept safe and available. Reference to the guide is an added condition of the tenancy agreement.

I use the guide to explain appliances to new tenants - it's basic fall-back information to negotiate from if something gets misused. I would certainly expect it to prevent needless call-outs to turn up thermostats!

Thank you very much for all your input and advice - it's been really helpful.

I put out a quote request on MyBuilder.com and have found someone close to my property who is qualified and certified to carry out heating and plumbing work and partners with an electrician. Their rates are good and so far I'm very happy.

I like the idea of a manual, something to consider creating.

Archived