HB - Do they have to pay a claim after a time limit?

axil23

Someone was telling me that if all paper work is complete HB have to pay a claim or make partial payment if there is a delay from their end?

Have a T that has submitted all docs 6 weeks back and HB keeps on saying they are assessing the claim. Any rule or was someone just making it up?

The reason for asking is that T can, and do say anything that suits.

Don't HB require T authorisation to talk about the claim with the LL ?

If that's the case there could be other reasons why HB may be economical with the status ??

We not only have a clause in our contracts that state the tenants gives permission for the HB claim to be discussed with the landlord/agent they also sign a separate doc as well. With this in place you can find out what the status of the claimi is. If there is a delay it is normally because the council are waiting on info from the tenant. It is in the HB rules and regs that if they have all the required info they have to have may payment within 14 days or make payment on account. (But the tenant has to apply for it)

We not only have a clause in our contracts that state the tenants gives permission for the HB claim to be discussed with the landlord/agent they also sign a separate doc as well. With this in place you can find out what the status of the claimi is. If there is a delay it is normally because the council are waiting on info from the tenant. It is in the HB rules and regs that if they have all the required info they have to have may payment within 14 days or make payment on account. (But the tenant has to apply for it)

That's what I had heard. Do you ever pursue that? Also can I just add that clause onto my contract? Or do you need to use any specific wordings?

I have never had to pusue the 14 days rule but if you need to look it up it comes under regulation 93 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/regulation/93/made

This is the wording I use in my contracts:.

1. The Tenant irrevocably gives permission for landlord or agent to obtainfrom the Local Authority, Benefit Office, and the relevant utility companies (including electricity, gas, water, and telephone) all financial and other information relating to the property or any associated housing benefit LHA claim and for the Local Authority or utility company to disclose the tenant's whereabouts if the tenant has left the Property with rent or other monies owing.

I have never had to pusue the 14 days rule but if you need to look it up it comes under regulation 93 http://www.legislati...ulation/93/made

This is the wording I use in my contracts:.

1. The Tenant irrevocably gives permission for landlord or agent to obtainfrom the Local Authority, Benefit Office, and the relevant utility companies (including electricity, gas, water, and telephone) all financial and other information relating to the property or any associated housing benefit LHA claim and for the Local Authority or utility company to disclose the tenant's whereabouts if the tenant has left the Property with rent or other monies owing.

Perfect thank you Grampa.

Archived