Shelters £2 a month TV ad

Geezah

Saw a TV ad by Shelter which characterises the landlord as a heartless mean, uncaring, bullying, money-grabbing bar steward. He was pushing around some poor single mum and her wee kid.

Looks like we're an easy target, despite the fact that the law falls heavily on the tenants side if anything goes wrong. Talk about a cheap shot!

Just a whinge really because I have far more important things to do being a compliant landlord that write to the ASA. There now...... feeling better already.

Its quick and easy to make a formal complaint.....just make sure you cc your local councillors, MP and professional / trade/ landlord organisations so that they can add the weight of their bodies to the complaint.This sort of thing is totally unacceptable.......if I see it I'll do the job for you.

Which TV channel & what time of day was it on ?

I can't remember which channel, but I think it was early evening. I've only seen it aired once but I've found it on Youtube, here is the link:

I'm sure that it would be illegal to target any group in this discriminatory way, standy to be outraged all you compliant landlords.

As Devils advocate the ad attempts to highlite the illegal LL's not the nice types we get here that provide loo paper, collect T's shopping and take T's dogs for walks.

It is OTT but to say it is aimed at all LL's is an opinion. A common statement is "if your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about". A silly statement IMO, but difficult to argue down.

On the plus side at least Shelter find themselves needing money, that's good. Maybe soon they will have to start charging T's for their service, that would be even better.

I often contribute to Shelter as I often direct T's to them to confirm my statements. Keep 'em busy getting nowhere, it's good for 'em.

Last week Shelter rang me to enquire (again) if I would accept their bond. If they're short 'o dosh they are even less likely to pay out in the event than the no chance I perceive already. It was a short conversation.

Geezah - complain to the Adverising Stanards Authority (ASA).

It does work - I Iike to think I can take a minute bit credit for getting live labrador puppies taken off Andrex adverts.

Re-homing rescue animals being a topic close to my heart - but then I might have one - I am a landlord!

Mortitia

Re-homing rescue animals being a topic close to my heart - ........

But surely not at the expense of those people who need food, shelter, clothes & urgent medical treatment ?

I always get annoyed at animal welfare charities dipping their hands into the finite charity donation pot when the money can be used to help those above.

Yes Richlist - at the expense of those you mention. My right........

.........and I always get annoyed at so called 'humanity charities' who get massive donations and spend it on high wages for admin staff and fleets of 4 X4 vehicles with AC to cart the great and the good around. After a few more rip offs very little gets through to the needy. IMO plenty of taxpayers money already being spent on this type of thing.

Mortitia

Archived