Serving Section 21 Notice

_Chris

Hi,

I need a little help. I've been letting for over 10 years and, up until now, have not had to evict a tenant.

I sent a Section 21 Notice to my tenant by recorded delivery on 6th June but according to the Post Office "Track & Trace" service it is still being processed.

My question is what do I do if the Tenant fails to sign for it?

Chris

Unless you get confirmation they signed for it you need to either deliver by hand or send again with proof of postage. If so you may need to change the dates on the s21.

Not too sure if that is sufficient. For my scottish properties, I understand that the only two acceptable methods are recorded delivery or hand delivered by the court bailiffs.

Chris the knowledgeable LL doesn't send 'to be signed for' as it leaves the T with the option to receive.

In you case it may be that the T wasn't at home to sign but how do you know, it may be that you have an informed 'professional' T.

The notice sent with a certificate for posting is good. It shows the address and date of despatch. The delivery is then assumed to be 3 days later.

Hand delivered is also good, some prefer for this to be witnessed or photographed.

When a T goes to Shelter for advice on the notice there is often a letter requesting leniency, excellent for proof of service.

Archived