Blocked Drains

Geezah

Letting agent has the habit of charging me on the occasion that drains become blocked in my let properties. (route of least resistance?).

I am of the opinion that, as long as the drains are serviceable, it should be the tenants who pay to clear them. After all, it's not my cooking fat/hair etc that has blocked them up. I guess if it was blocked up by a dead rat/mouse etc. maybe it should be down to me? Another thought is, for the sake of 40 quid, do I really want the tenants mucking about with my drains with the potential to screw them up and cause me a big headache?

How do you guys deal with it?

I take it you mean waste water from bath, kitchen sink, shower etc?

My plumber gave me this tip. Go to B&Q and get a bottle of ONE SHOT. It's in the plumbing section low down on the shelves and cost about £10 - for that you get about 20+ applications.

Frighten yourself to death reading the destructions then do as they say. It acts only on organic matter so pipes and seals are safe.

It works. Used it loads of times in many situations and have charged other landlords for the privilege LOL!

Mortitia

Yes, thats right Morticia just usual Kitchen, bathroom etc. Trouble is my props are 150 miles away hence my use of an agent. I'll check out htis ONE SHOT for my own house though. I've still got a complete set of Nuclear, Biological and Chemical protective suit from my Air Force days, I'll put it to good use!

How do you guys deal with it?

1. I have a clause in my AST that makes it the tenants responsibility.

2. I supply a list of instructions & information telling tenants that unblocking wastes are their responsibility.

If they insist on you dealing with it thats OK but they are responsible for the bill/ expenses incurred in fixing it......you aren't running a hotel !:blink:

Having thought some more on this question, I realise that there are other of factors that can affect the outcome.....I woould suggest:-

* If the blockage is inside the property (traps, wastes, pipes, equipment etc) then its clearlly the tenants lliability.

* If the blockage is outside the property in drain pipes within the boundary of a freehold property and caused by the tenant....its the tenantts liabiliity.

* If the blockage is outside the property on a leasehold property it usually becomes a matter for the maintenance/ management/ service charge company to fix.

* It will depend on wether the blockage is in a shared pipe or a pipe that serves just one property.

* It will also depend on the waste water service company who, this year became responsible for fixing blockages in drains from the boundaries.

Most helpful, especially Morticias tip. ph34r.gif, Thanks all. Four maisonettes in a block, shared main drain, can't apportion blame to any particular flat, so I guess I'll take it on the chin.

* It will also depend on the waste water service company who, this year became responsible for fixing blockages in drains from the boundaries.

You might want to make a quick call to your waste water utility company

Archived