ecp

salavan

hi i just been reading about even more regulations this time regarding e.c.p.

simon thompson chairman of the landlords syndicate states in the last paragraph that landlords will be faced with making the improvements or taking the house of the market.

what a good idea i am seriously considering selling my rental property and investing the money in another country where all these regulations that are thought up to keep bureaucra's

in their well paid jobs dont exist, then the tenants can sleep in cardboard boxes, can we get a regulation that makes cardboard boxes have compulsoery ECP'S

EPC's?

Yes new rules come into force in April for landlords for EPC's

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2115523/Buy-let-landlords-warned-new-rules-Energy-Performance-Certificates.html#comments

( Spot the Tenants red arrowing sensible comments. :D )

We are reaching the tipping point on regulations for landlord's but like everything in life it is the mindless minority that spoil it for the majority so take some comfort that if it sorts out the bad landlord then all well and good.

EPC's can be completed now for around £50 if you search them out. Avoid ALL LA's who try and charge the Landlord £99 plus VAT !

Mel.

I would hope there isn't anything in the EPC regs that obliges a landlord to make improvements, although desirable from an energy saving point of view.

In my area, certain improvements e.g. double glazing, solar pv installations, would run into local authority planning restrictions.

Leaves us somewhere between a Rock and Hard Place, I think....!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just re-reading the new EPC regs. coming into force to make sure that I am aware of what is required of my rental properties.

There is no requirement for any solar panels be they electric or water so any EPC person entering these details on the EPC certificate or their recommendations requires a good slap for not knowing the new regulations.

Generally speaking I agree with what is required but I am inherently against Council Jobs Worth person stating the bleeding obvious and threatening to fine the backside off me for what they consider to be non compliance.

Landlords are a soft target for new legistlation aren't they.

http://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/epc/

1. Tenants hardly ever ask to see the epc.

2. Many landlords don't bother to get an epc.

3. Trading Standards are far to busy to enforce the rules.

4. A £200 fine is way to low.

5. They are a waste of time on leasehold property (landlord cannot fit cavity wall insulation or loft insulation or solar panels).

The gov. low carbon target for 2050 (Climate Change Act 2008) equates, I'm told, to one home energy improvement every 20 minutes. There's a thought!

Also it's been suggested to me that, as a lever for this, EPC's will eventually be used to weight Council Tax, as are vehicle emissions to road tax.

Also it's been suggested to me that, as a lever for this, EPC's will eventually be used to weight Council Tax, as are vehicle emissions to road tax.

Leaseholders better get off their arse and persuade their freeholders to spend some money on insulation.

We all know that just aint gonna happen without the freeholders being given a large incentive.

What planet are the Government on ?

Guest caravanj

Carbon footprint taxing is a complete farce since in two indentical EPC rated houses one occupant may have the heating on at a constant 22c 24/7 whilst the other may have the heating timed for 6 hours a day at 18c.

Same with cars, a new £30 a year road tax low polluting car that does 50,000 a year will pollute far more than a £200 a year road tax old banger that does 3,000 a year.

The only thing I have done to enhance my properties is to have just taken up the free installation top-up of 6" loft insulation on offer.

All my properties have new'ish UPVc double glazing.....no condensing boilers.....but they are all under 7 years old......no cavity wall insulation.

That'll do for now so I shall look forward to my 50 quid EPC telling me I am a bad landlord. :D

.....but they are all under 7 years old......no cavity wall insulation.

7 years ago the building regulations certainly required new builds to have cavity wall insulation.......what happened to your property if it dosn't have it ????

.....but they are all under 7 years old......no cavity wall insulation.

7 years ago the building regulations certainly required new builds to have cavity wall insulation.......what happened to your property if it dosn't have it ????

No RL my domestic boilers are all under 7 years old.......and I am looking for 15 years out of them as well! :D

Cavity wall insulation should be installed on a 25 year old property but it is very hit and miss and by that I mean ALL properties were mean't to have re-inforced concrete slabs when laid down in the 1980's but I know for a fact it didn't always happen.

Archived