Is there a regulation for which way doors should swing in rented accomadation?

Beth

Hi I have a flat which is about to swap tenants and i want to replace the stairs up to the bedroom (it is an attick bedroom) i think the new stair case will need to start at the door way and turn the corner to go up inorder for us to have enough room for enough steps to go up the required height! (we have some unusual space saving wooden stairs in at the mo).

My question is can i make the door swing open into the hallway? the door would open so it's back is against a wall and there r no stairs to step back onto or anything dangerous like that. i think it needs to be a firedoor and self closing but wanted to check befor making the changes as i can't help but think that there must be a reason why the previous owners did not do this instead of using the space saving stairs? Thank you and look forward to your response Beth

I would expect it to have to comply with building regulations......wouldn't you ?

Any surveyor will be able to advise you on what is acceptable.

Have you thought about using a spiral staircase ?

i think it needs to be a firedoor and self closing but wanted to check befor making the changes as i can't help but think that there must be a reason why the previous owners did not do this instead of using the space saving stairs

There are very strict rules on bedrooms in attics for the obvious reasons of why there are.

Off the top of my head if you convert an attic into a bedroom then it has to pass building control and for your info. the basics are:

1. 1 hour firedoors must be fitted which are self-closing. Safety door locks also.

2. Stairs must meet standard regulation ie Ladders etc. are not permitted for access to attic bedrooms.

3. Stair handrails must be fitted.

4. Safety rails around the entry access into the bedroom.

5. An escape window must be fitted into the roof space which must fully open. Velux window.

If you are not complying with any of the above regs. you will leave yourself wide open to any claim and insurance companies will not pay up if you have failed to meet this minimum criteria and that includes any tenant who may fall down the stairs and claims against you and if there is ever a fire resulting in death or injury to your tenant don't make any plans to go on holiday as the Courts will come down heavy on any Landlord who fails to comply with regulations for their tenants especially on safety.

Mel.

Archived