Solar Panels

thefilly

Hi,

I only have a few buy to lets but I have put solar on them and it gives a good return one of them 10% return the other 8% as depends on your roof. I will make over £60,000 over 25 years on each one.

As landlords we can get the feed in tariff for as many solar installs as we like but not after After 31st March then you can can only have 1 per person.

I got Green Bee Solar to do it and was impressed. I can give you contact details if you like? I got my own gear and just got them to install as worked out a bit cheaper.

I've done my research so can try and help you if you need

Thanks

Hi,

I only have a few buy to lets but I have put solar on them and it gives a good return one of them 10% return the other 8% as depends on your roof. I will make over £60,000 over 25 years on each one.

Thanks

I would certainly love to see your arithmetic on those financial figures you are quoting.

I would certainly love to see your arithmetic on those financial figures you are quoting.

Hi Melboy,

It's worked out on the direction of your roof and how many panels you get on so I put the max of 4Kw on each house one with south facing, and one south east facing roof. I f you have a smaller system or not south facing you won't get as high a return.

I will dig the actual workings out that I got off installers and post when I get home later. A portion is from feed in tariff and a portion from electricity savings. Good investment though as I got each one done for just over £8000.

I can't afford to put on any more roofs but would if I could. You looking into it? Where abouts are you based?

I have been advised at a recent seminar that for £5,500 installation cost an 8 panel pv array on S facing roof of average 3 - 4 bed UK house should save about £150 p.a. from its annual electricity bill at today's price.

Electricity price will almost certainly go up.

Solar pv panels may not last 25 years.

Government FIT offers should be seen IMO as an enticing but fickle bonus, and indirectly someone else's loss.

If you want to help the planet and you've got £6,000 - £10,000 to invest, it's an option worth considering.

Hi Chestnut,

I can't comment on your property as that is a lot smaller system than the one i have put on and maybe wouldn't earn as much from the feed in tariff. I think that price is quite high for only 8 panels I paid 8k for 16 panels.

From the 4kw (16 panels) I will earn around £1000 a year and around £500 off energy bills (good selling point for residents). The energy bill savings will also increase every year as electricity prices go up.

It's also tax free and much better return than an isa . My waranty is 10 years and the panels have a 25 year waranty.

I think it's a great investment but up to individual

I have been advised at a recent seminar that for £5,500 installation cost an 8 panel pv array on S facing roof of average 3 - 4 bed UK house should save about £150 p.a. from its annual electricity bill at today's price.

Electricity price will almost certainly go up.

Solar pv panels may not last 25 years.

Government FIT offers should be seen IMO as an enticing but fickle bonus, and indirectly someone else's loss.

If you want to help the planet and you've got £6,000 - £10,000 to invest, it's an option worth considering.

If I remember correctly there used to be 2 systems:

1. You paid for the installation ( as 'thefilly) and got free electricity and payment for any excess you fed into the grid. OR

2. The installation company paid for the installation .....you got free electricity and they got paid for any excess fed into the grid.

Option 2 looks better than option 1 as you don't have to front up any money so the returns must be better.

Hi Richlist

Best option was definately to pay for install myself so I get the feed in tariff which is over £1000 a year for 25 years. Tax free and linked to inflation so this will increase.

It is a great investment but the gov have wanted to put people off with all the court cases etc (they have lost all of them). They want less people to install solar before the deadline as it will save them lots of money.

Before April you can have as many installs as you like and claim the feed in tariff, after this you can only have one per person.

Look into it but you will need to hurry.

Do it as cheap as you can by either getting panels yourself or try to get a cheap deal off installers. I used Green Bee Solar in Manchester they did me a cheap deal for landlords.

• 1 year later...
Hi Richlist Best option was definately to pay for install myself so I get the feed in tariff which is over £1000 a year for 25 years. Tax free and linked to inflation so this will increase. It is a great investment but the gov have wanted to put people off with all the court cases etc (they have lost all of them). They want less people to install solar before the deadline as it will save them lots of money. Before April you can have as many installs as you like and claim the feed in tariff, after this you can only have one per person. Look into it but you will need to hurry. Do it as cheap as you can by either getting panels yourself or try to get a cheap deal off installers. I used Green Bee Solar in Manchester they did me a cheap deal for landlords.
Solar panels still give a decent return still more than an ISA will give you, the feedin tariff is now for 20 yrs and its gone down to 15.9p per kwhr so based on 16 panels (4kw) which takes up 30 sq Mtrs of roof space will give you around £800 saving I had the above system before march 2nd 2012 at the 43.3p rate which is now 45.9p and I've saved last year £300 off my electric bill and had four payments totalling £1400 so overall £1700 but as the utility's increase the prices my £300 saving will increase with their price increases, if any of you want an investment do this. You now should be looking to pay around £6/7k at the moment, before march 2012 prices would have been 12k

Its also tax free and much better return than an isa

But I can cash in my ISA at any time, get my money back and move on.

With this.....once you've spent the money......you have to wait for the returns......there's no guarantee that you can get the installation cost back when you sell.

A mortgage company only last week refused to mortgage a property with these solar panels installed because the solar panel installer company had placed a charge against the property with the Land Registry.

Common business practice? Don't no?

Your talking about free solar the resident has signed a contract to have an installation on the roof and they only benefit from electricity generated which if they don't use is pointless really. If any of you are thinking of having solar use your own money as an investment cause there are good returns.

Archived