Class C exemption

axil23

Had a property which was empty for 2 months in Dec 10. Council sent me a demand for council tax and I advised them that the property was empty and unfurnished so can they apply a Class C exemption. Don't hear nothing back for 3-4 months and then they sent a letter to say that they don't agree and that the property was rented previously furnished.

What is the legal outlook on this. They say it was furnished and empty, I say it was unfurnished and empty. The period is for 6 weeks in 2010.

You have to apply for class C exemption at the time of the property being empty and unfurnished. If for any reason you have not done this then the council, in most cases, will not grant you retrospective exemption however, if you did apply for Class C and you have received your class C exemption certificate then it is the Councils responsibility to send a Council Officer round to check the declared state of the property.

Mel.

If the council had somebody look thru the windows and they could see furnishings.....sofa, table/ chairs etc then they'll consider it furnished.

If it was let immediately previous to the void as a furnished let then again, they'll consider it furnished unless you provide proof otherwise. Its extremely unusual for someone to have a furnished property and to remove all of the contents in between tenancies.

Archived