Accused of unlawful eviction

lynnecavanagh

I rented out a property to a young unmarried couple with a baby. No deposit or rent in advance available, were going to get Housing benefits and wanted to help them out. Did not pay any rent for the first 2 months except for a few quid to keep me quiet! After many domestic incidents, i said enough was enough. the house was being trashed and police kept being called. on last incident, police moved her to her nans for the night as they should not be left together. Because she had a baby, i thought i would let her stay in the property i since found out the baby is in care (the 4th to go into care and she is only 20). However, i decided to let the boy stay for a week until he found somewhere else, and she agreed to remain at her nans for the week. Took her back to get a few possessions at which time she told me she did not want to stay in the house again and he could have it. Gave her a week to cool off. Later that week they had apparently got back together and following another domestic incident, her nan informed me that she had moved down south and would not be returning. The nan, who was also guarantor, collected her granddaughters remaining possessions and gave me the key back saying she was sorry for everything and she was definitely not returning. She told me although she was guarantor she had no money and could not pay for the damages or the rent owing. To be honest, I was so happy to get rid of her, I told her that I would terminate the tenancy and forget about what she owed me as long as she did not come back to the property. A week later i get a letter from a solicitor accusing me of unlawful eviction and saying that i have 48 hours in which to return the key to her or they will be taking me to court and claiming compensation for making her homeless and for keeping her property!! I know this country is crazy but surely this cannot be right. I do not think she has given full information to her solicitor. Can someone please help me. I have replied to the solicitor myself, as i was told i only had 48 hours to respond. All i said was that she left voluntarily and took her possesions and returned the key.

There will be opinions coming but ffs don't communicate with her Solicitor. His revenue depends on there being a case here.

Think of the ways you are able to demonstrate the property was surrendered, it isn't likely she and hers are going to make such agreeable statements.

What is the status of the 'boy' ? The way I see it he is still T also.

I would not have communicated with the Solicitor.

You have no case to answer to.

My suspicion is that this Solicitor is from the Citizens Advice and is trying to build up some sort of case against you for compensation. These CA solicitors are mainly quite amateur and newly qualified trying to gain some experience for their CV's.

You will find that the next step will be the CA solicitor requesting the name of your Solicitor and once that happens you will have entered an expensive minefield of legal proceedings ending up in court with you paying the bill.

Ignore ALL further letters.

Agree with Mel and Cor. Do not respond to solicitor as he/she sees you as a money making machine. If not CAB they probably work for Shelter.

You should have got something in writing if only on a fag packet from Tenant (s) agreeing to end tenancy.

Don't help such types in future - this is how they learn to milk the system and you.

Mortitia

Archived