Dodgy Letting Agent

Grampa

We are in the process of referancing a new tenant who is already in a rented property. His present landlord is selling up and has served a section 21 3.5 months ago.

As part of our preceedure we ask for a writen ref from the current letting agent and the first question asks if their are any rent arrears to which the agent stated no. We that ask a number of other questions and lastly have a box for any other information. The agent stated the last 3 months rent havent been paid or requested due to not wanting to grant another tenancy after s21 served and making it invalid. It turns out the tenant has been offering the rent but it was refused by the agent. (confirmed by tenant & agent).

So the poor landlord has suffered a loss of about 2k due the agent not knowing his arse from his elbow. We were gob-smacked in the office,

I know there is a small posilbilty they could both be making it up just so the move goes ahead but the agent is a large well known one for the area.

The thing is this is basic letting law. If the agent went on regular courses it wouldnt happen. I would consider this a rather large mistake to make at the cost of the landlord.

I dont profess to know everything and have made a few clangers but its my choosen proffession so try to do what is expected of me. I just belong to what I consider the best landlord/agent association (www.all4landlords.com) which is where I get most of my info from, that and numerous courses and internet research. I also go on these forums to pick up other snippets of info such as Richlists end of tenancy list which I ammended to suit my needs. I have only been doing this for 7 years.

Archived