Getting Council to supply forwarding address

Grampa

Councils never normally give out forwarding addresses of ex-tenant.

I have had a clause in my contracts for a while now that the tenant gives permission for it to be given out in the small print. I never had to use it and was doubtful that the council would accept it but today i thought i would try my luck.

Sent a email to the benefit dept with a scan of the signed contract and 2 hours later bingo the new address.:D

She is going to get a nasty supprise soon.

9 out of 10 of my tenants never read through the contract completely.

Below is the clause I use. It is a bit wordy and I am not compleaty happy with it but it did the trick.

For the purposes of the Data Protection Act...the Tenant irrevocably gives permission for the Landlord to obtain (from the Local Authority, Benefit Office, and the relevant utility companies including electricity, gas, water, and telephone) all financial and other information relating to the Property or any associated housing benefit LHA claim and for the Local Authority to disclose...the Tenant's whereabouts if the Tenant has left the Property with rent or other monies owing.

I am also getting all tenants to sign a form that they agree to the the council discussing any housing benefit claim details with me even if they are not on benefits at the start of the tenancy.

I know I will not get any rent arrears/damages from the person even though I now know the forewarding address. Only about £400 in total so not too worried.

But I did enjoy passing on the address to:

1 Debt collection company owed 826.00

2 Council tax £1526.00

3 Water company 146.00

I am sure I will get a few more bills i can pass the address to over the next week or so.

I will let them go down the court route and get the ccj's.

OMG Grampa ...your a genius and well done on getting a result from the council

I wish I had this on a couple of my tenancies and I will without doubt be stealing it for future ones ;)

I no longer take DSS but one I had went onto benefits after moving in....but they are gone now and property re let

thanks for the tip....

The clause also covers utility companies as well, so even if the tenant isnt on benefits and leaves with a debt you may be able to get the address from water, electric or gas company.. I suspect some may give it out and some wont but you will have 3 or 4 to try.

Archived