Relative who lives with me

jelly

Hi

I am not a landlord in the real sense. I have a relative that has been living with me for 17 years. He's now 33, the relationship between us has broken down (he's my nephew) as I have recently married and now have a new husband and they don't get along. Though I have attempted formal agreements for him to pay rent at various times over this period of 17 years it has rarely been forthcoming, I gave him verbal notice to quit in May (30 days) and nothing happened so I gave him written notice for the same 30 days and nothing has happened. Since that time he has assured me that he has every intention to leave but so far has nowhere to go and is now in depression (apparently attributed to his situation). I guess he is not classified as a tenant as he was not paying rent so I am not sure what if any rights he has. I also do not know what my position is or if there are any options available to me to take this forward. Currently his continued occupation in my house is creating a lot of stress for me and I don't feel comfortable having him there anymore because he is angry and using mindgames to get to me some of which is intimidatory. Can anyone help I am really desperate?

Thanks

He's a lodger so he has no rights. You are entitled to serve reasonable notice (which you have done) then change the locks. He can make an appointment to come back and pick up his personal things when it suits you.

But, if he won't help himself then perhaps you can start the ball rolling for him. Contact the housing department of your loca council telling them you are about to evict a lodger who has no where else to go. They should arrange matters for him.....you can pass their details to him & vice versa. Its his responsibnility to follow it up not yours.

Get the locks changed ASAP.

As above he's a lodger and has no tenancy rights.

You can prevent his 're-entry' at any time. Anything else is a concession from you.

With Xmas round the corner I guess you have a choice of your comfort or his, your call I'm afraid.

His legal rights can be found here: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/private_tenancies/excluded_occupiers

Basically, none, as other posters have said. If you change the locks while he is out, you have a legal obligation to keep his possessions secure and allow him to collect them (he doesn't have the right to enter the property, you can take them out to him).

You also have no legal obligation to sort him out other accommodation, although perhaps a 'moral' one since he is a relative.

He's a lodger so he has no rights. You are entitled to serve reasonable notice (which you have done) then change the locks. He can make an appointment to come back and pick up his personal things when it suits you.

But, if he won't help himself then perhaps you can start the ball rolling for him. Contact the housing department of your loca council telling them you are about to evict a lodger who has no where else to go. They should arrange matters for him.....you can pass their details to him & vice versa. Its his responsibnility to follow it up not yours.

Get the locks changed ASAP.

Thank you very much for your help!

As above he's a lodger and has no tenancy rights.

You can prevent his 're-entry' at any time. Anything else is a concession from you.

With Xmas round the corner I guess you have a choice of your comfort or his, your call I'm afraid.

thank you very much for your help

His legal rights can be found here: http://england.shelt...luded_occupiers

Basically, none, as other posters have said. If you change the locks while he is out, you have a legal obligation to keep his possessions secure and allow him to collect them (he doesn't have the right to enter the property, you can take them out to him).

You also have no legal obligation to sort him out other accommodation, although perhaps a 'moral' one since he is a relative.

Thanks very much for your help!

Archived