landlords building and contents insurance

max5445

In the process of letting my property, can anyone recommend or advise me on building and contents insurance, the house is unfurnished, however i do have integrated kitchen appliances, am i still required to have contents insurance

1. I assume the property is freehold ? If leasehold then usually buildings insurance is provided within your service charges.

2. Integrated kitchen appliances form part of the building and would not come within any contents insurance.

3. You are not 'required' to have any contents insurance by anyone......its entirely up to you to decide wether you want it or not.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I am currently going through the process of buying an investment property , ( buy to let ) , and have been asked by my solicitors to provide details of buildings insurance policy for when i get to the point of exchange of contracts. Once i get the property i don't expect having tenants in for a while as some work needs doing , but i'm unsure what type of insurance i should take out. do i have the normal buildings insurance initially then change to a landlords policy or do i take out a landlords policy from day one.

Rich

You tell the insurance company the property will be empty and you will pay a higher price because of that but as soon as you get a tenant in tell the insurance company (or your broker) and they should amend the policy to a cheaper level.

Archived