insurance invalid

lanaby

hi all; could I please have some advice as to how to handle this problem?

I have had a great tenant for about 1 1/2 years. when she moved in she was up front and told me she had bi-ploar disorder (manic depression). she has been sectioned to a secure hospital several times but always lets me know and always pays her rent. she's in hospital at the moment.

Just had a call from her and someone has broken into the back door and stolen some of her goods. Her friend who checks the property discovered this on Sunday and called the police. They recommended a contractor to secure the door; she arranged that and the bill is coming to me. because it was a Sunday it's £160. The UPVC door may be fixable but it may have to be replaced.

However, she has been absent from the property for more than 30 days which makes my insurance invalid.

I make good money off the rent and she is a good tenant. should I just pay it and be done with it, or ask her to pay it because she has invalidated my insurance?

any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

lanaby

As she is in possession she has responsibility for security, her absence from the property isn't your concern.

Any concession is at your discretion.

Axa (0845 600 5822) will give 180 days cover for unoccupied properties, but it looks to be more expensive than others.

Most tenancy agreements have a clause that requires a tenant to notify the landlord if they leave the property empty for an extended period.

I use a contract which says that the tenant must not leave the property vacant for a period in excess of 21 days without giving written notice to the landlord etc etc.

If yours contains such a clause then your tenant is in breach of the agreement and could be at fault.

If your AST does not contain such a clause then you are at fault.

In any event you are legally required to ensure the rented property is repaired and secure at your cost. Depending on your contract terms as above you may be able to persue the tenant for recovery of that cost.

Archived