Fitting Bathroom/Kitchen

Range

Hi all.

I will be installing a new kitchen and bathroom in a BTL property I have just acquired.

Need advice on where other Landlords buy their kitchen/bathroom furniture kit. Not looking for high spec but something pleasing on the eye, good value for money and functional??

Thanks

This is not probably not so helpful but my Son does say that B&Q trade counter offer him bath suites which his Plumber's Merchants can't match on price.

I have just installed a new suite into my renovation but I only use good quality suites with a proper named brand like Ideal Standard etc. You get what you pay for.

Mel.

Howdens is reasonable for quality & price.

Are you aware that by fitting the kitchen and bathroom before you let the property you won't be able to offset the cost against income tax ? You will have to wait until you dispose of the property to claim the cost of the work against capital gains.

Assuming like for like replacement it can be better to let the property for a while and then carry out the work at a later date in order for it to qualify for offset against income tax.

I only use good quality suites with a proper named brand like Ideal Standard etc. You get what you pay for.

Just to add to this piece of excellent advice......where you buy a named brand from also matters. Beware......some of the smaller bathroom merchants in my part of Essex sell seconds.....but they don't tell you that unless you ask.

thanks for your advice. Did not realise that I would not be able to immediately offset cost of works against rental income BUT I have to carry out the works as the existing furniture is really dated!

Whilst I'm thinking about it I want to decorate/carpet the whole property and am thinking that good old magnolia walls and beige carpets would be the best route. What do you think?

Make sure the bath is 6-7mm thick at least. I have bought cheap baths in the past as a 'mangers special' only to find you can virtually see through the bath with sunlight behind and they do not last. Since tenants seem to be getting heavier and some do strange things in bathrooms money spent on a better quality of bath and fitting it well is worth the extra cost.

Yes, magnolia walls and dark beige carpets are easy on the eye, look clean and are easy to re-produce again when tenants change.

LOL - I have just acquired and property with a 'chocolate' coloured cloakroom suite but is in v. good condition so won't be ripping it out. The 1980's live on!

Mortitia

My Son will not fit ANY cheap bathrooms. Too much hassle when they split. Sure the company may provide you with a replacement but who is going to fit it for you? Your installer will require full payment for fitting your replacement and it is very rare for any company to pay the labour costs of refitting....the installers don't make the baths do they.

Never buy a bath with wood chipboard under bath support exposed....it generally means it is cheap and nasty with skin thickness of around 3 -4 mm

better mid priced quality baths have the chipboard bath base support fully covered fibre glassed for solid support & protection.

Nothing beats quality though and my own bath (Armatage Shanks) cost £500 12 years ago with a lifetime quality guarantee and still looks as good as the day it was put in.

thanks for your replies! Will be starting work on the property next week. Had a useful lettings agent around today and he stopped me throwing £££'s at things that did no need doing. He said to me "do not let your heart rule your head"......

B&Q for self-assembly kitchen units and doors BUT open a trade account to get maximum discount.

Howdens for pre-assembled units.....quicker to install.

Worktops.....take your pick. Nearly all DIY/Trade outlets charge the same money.

I have fitted several kitchens & bathrooms in the past 5 years and I would say for a BTL type property then Howdens is probably best but always remember at some point you may want to sell so don't skimp on design and price too much.

Kitchens sell houses both to renters and property buyers.

Bathrooms.....probably B&Q with trade discount BUT not their £80 bath....it's rubbish! Go for the next one up I think it is around £120.

Ebay is always worth a look for kitchen appliances etc.

Mel.

Archived