Noise from flat above

bdh198

I have a first floor one bedroom flat in a converted Victorian terraced property. I am currently refurbishing the property with the intention of letting it out to young professionals / mature students in the local area. I own the lease for the flat, but I also have a share of the freehold with the owners of the two other flats in the building (both of these are also rented out).

I would like to put laminate flooring down in the living room / kitchen area. Leaving aside the legal aspects of this (I've checked the lease and will need to speak to the other freeholders), does anyone have any experience of having laminate or wooden flooring in a first floor flat? And in particular, does anyone have any experience of having this type of flooring laid in such a way that it doesn't cause noise nuisance for the neighbouring flats?

Thanks

I have done this and used the insulated fibre boards underneath but tenants downstairs still complain of noise. The trouble is with old properties is that there is no insulation in the floor - to do this today would be a nightmare. Other landlord from downstairs has asked me to but highly unlikely. Get cheap carpet instead.

I have also lowered a ceiling to prevent noise from upstairs by 60cm and filled with rockwool with 2 layers of 15mm plasterboard before and after - that does work but very labour intensive.

Mortitia

We have had this discussion before Solent a few years back and the general consensus of opinion was it was not recommended for flat dwellers due to the noise of clickty-clack of footwear but I would guess with the new sound proofing floor fibre board it would cut the noise down a lot.

I used to write for C4 Homes and this topic was a regular theme from flat dwellers about the constant noise so I guess if you are talking to your neighbours you should get some feedback from their opinions on the subject.

Mel.

Guest caravanj

Why do anything that's got the potential to cause you problems? I'd use normal carpet in the lounge & carpet tiles in the kitchen area.

1. Generally laminate flooring will create higher noise levels for the rooms below.

2. The degree of noise will depend on.....the underlay, the type of construction (concrete, wood etc), the amount of insulaton and wether any of those feature have been correctly installed.

3. Many purpose built flats over the last 20 years or so have a restriction in ther lease to the effect that carpet MUST be fitted in all rooms except bathrooms and kitchens.......virtually all my leasehold property carries that clause. Its there for a reason.

4. Laminate flooring is not always the best for rental property. Its virtually impossible to repair damage, costly and time consuming to lay and subsequently replace and can be cold and uninviting during the winter months.

Most people ignore all of that and fit it anyway.......personally I hate it.

Archived