Jump to content

How to be a landlord


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is ok. I am a first time landlord and have a 3 bedroom terraced house to rent,

Since I want to rent the house by myself rather by the agent, could you give me some advice on what I should do to be a real landlord.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to read up lots!

A couple of things to start-

If it was your home with a mortgage on it you'll need to get permission to rent.

Sort out an ast agreement, inventory list

Get your gas appliances certified

Get a electrical cerification

Get a epc

Landlord insurance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody is born a landlord and if your successful or not is down to you so with that in mind go and purchase a good book to read up on first and take it from there.

There is not a landlord in the UK who won't have made some mistakes along the way and you will be no different but you can avoid basic errors by having a bit of knowledge in what you are doing.

I can recommend this book to you.

"Successful Property Letting" by David Lawrenson

ISBN 0-7160-3015-2


Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have never rented before i would advise you to use a good agent for the initial set up on the understanding that you MAY want to manage at a later date. Then spend the next six months learning basic housing law and picking the brains of the agent. Just make sure the agent doesnt have extra fees for when you cut the ties.

This way you will also have a good idea of what a good contract, inventory and ref checks should look like. So make sure you get copies of all paperwork, which you are entitled to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all of you.

However, may I ask some stupid questions:

what is anast agreement? What is a epc?

What is the difference between landlord insurance and building&content insurance?


An AST is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, fixed for a minimum term of 6 months.

An EPC is an Energy Performance Certificate, which is compulsory for all rental properties. The property is assessed by an EPC surveyor with regards to wastage of heat, eg loft insulation, cavity walls - your property is then graded and will also have info on how improvements can be made (if any).

I only learnt about these from reading up on them, so as some of the others have already said, "go read up on it" :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...