Fake Britain

Guest caravanj

Guest caravanj

I'm an avid viewer of any Dominic Littlewood programme & he's doing another series of Fake Britain.

Yesterday they featured a fake landlord scam whereby the criminal breaks into your empty property, changes the locks & then 'rents' it out to someone.

Because the person in your property didn't break in & claim that they thought the criminal was the genuine landlord, you can't get them out without going through the courts.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

As soon as I get my property back I'm selling it & using the money to buy cheap flats or terraced houses to do up & sell on. If I only make £5000 on each one it's less risky than being a landlord.

I'm with you on this one.

The risk of renting is too great, and for a few reasons becoming continually more risky, I don't see it changing for the better any time soon.

But prior to selling your 'done up' properties some git could do the same.

I'm an avid viewer of any Dominic Littlewood programme & he's doing another series of Fake Britain.

Yesterday they featured a fake lanlord scam whereby the criminal breaks into your empty property, changes the locks & then 'rents' it out to someone.

Because the person in your property didn't break in & claim that they thought the criminal was the genuine landlord, you can't get them out without going through the courts.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

As soon as I get my property back I'm selling it & using the money to buy cheap flats or terraced houses to do up & sell on. If I only make £5000 on each one it's less risky than being a landlord.

That's my business plan and has been for a number of years. Regarding rentals I only let people in that I know won't be trouble and fingers crossed for the last 5 years or so it has worked. I would rather have an empty property than chase the rent.

I don't think I would be following the road to the Courts given what you are saying above. :D

Mel.

Yesterday they featured a fake lanlord scam whereby the criminal breaks into your empty property, changes the locks & then 'rents' it out to someone.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!

But does this mean it is just as unsafe to be a homeowner or even a Tenant .....If not why not ? :P

...i was talking to a homeless guy the other day and someone had nicked his cardboard box.

Guest caravanj

I'm with you on this one.

The risk of renting is too great, and for a few reasons becoming continually more risky, I don't see it changing for the better any time soon.

But prior to selling your 'done up' properties some git could do the same.

99% of Joe Public haven't got a clue & don't realise that every time they leave home to go to work it could be 6 months before they get back into their own home!!

At least with doing up & selling on I'll be minimising the risk. Also I'll install a phone line & a broadband based covert CCTV system in the property until it's sold.

Guest caravanj

But does this mean it is just as unsafe to be a homeowner or even a Tenant .....If not why not ? :P

...i was talking to a homeless guy the other day and someone had nicked his cardboard box.

Yes it does affect tenants but it not nearly to the same financial extent as it does the landlord or homeowner.

One of the people featured was a tenant who came back home to find the locks changed & an Eastern living in the house. The proper landlord was a housing association who rehomed him until they got a repossession order but when the guy got bck in he found his clothes, washing machine, money etc. had gone.

If it happened to a one of us would we have to find the tenant alternative accomodation.

Yep disgusting state of affairs.

And now for the sake of entertainment the guy has taught loads of corrupt gits 'how to'.

Understanding the incentives for someone to set us up for an illegal eviction situation is worth while, but let's be cautious not to discuss in too much depth on an open forum.

On our side, possibly, is that while we can't evict ourselves (legally), if they have no lawful right to be there you can prevent re-entry. If there are more than one and there is always a care taker your knackered though (that's why possibly).

If they had been granted a tenancy by a git I would take my chance on them making a claim.

Some years ago a prat blocked my car in down a cul de sack. The awkward prat didn't wish to move his car, but left his door open to keep an eye on things.

As that's an invitation, I entered and sat down. Screaming like the prat he was he threatened to call the police.

No forced entry, no violence there would be nothing they could do. My laughing angered him more. Silly really.

Archived