Is it ever worth the risk?

bdh198

My property has been empty since the end of February when the last tenant moved out. The property has been advertised since the beginning of February, and has probably been viewed by about a dozen people or so over the last two months. However, there has been a distinct lack of serious interest despite the rent being reduced by £15pcm.

My agent has now found a potential tenant. However, there is a complication. Before a full reference check was undertaken the potential tenant admitted to my agent that he has a CCJ against him of about £700. As his declared income could more than comfortably cover the rent we didn't feel it was a problem. Now the full reference check has come back and we have discovered the CCJ is actually closer to £31,000.

I know it would be extremely risky taking on a tenant with such a large debt, but on the other hand his income is easily sufficient to cover the rent and whatever repayment agreement he has in place with the court. Tenants aren't exactly falling over themselves to rent the property... is it ever a risk worth taking?

No.... I wouldn't go with this tenant Solent either. Too risky. He has not come clean from the start and it is better to stop now and refuse this application then to go through all the hassle of a possible eviction with all the money costs that entails.

Mel.

Hi Solent,

I would take most people .... but I wouldn't take your new propective tenant with the £31,000 CCJ who lies!

Once a liar ... always a liar .......

Why not reduce the rent by £75 a month (rather than a paltry £15 month) and get yourself a decent tenant?

Mark

Archived