Short Notice Given

Morgs62

My tenant has just text me to give me 9 days notice, instead of a full calendar month. Where do I stand in asking for another full month’s rent or holding his deposit?

Cheers Morgs

Easy....inform your tenant that his /her notice of 9 days is unacceptable and under the terms of their written and signed AST 1 months noticed is required and you expect that contract to be honoured as you would have done.

Accept no excuses or Bullsh*t from your tenant.

Mel.

Hi Morgs,

Yes - I agree with Melboy's sentiment - but would also comment that if the current Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) fixed term is due to end in 9 days time ..... then LEGALLY the tenant can walk away at the end of that tenancy ... with only the 9 days notice ... without penalty! That is why many letting agents and landlords contact their tenants when their is over a month left on a fixed term AST to get them to sign up to a new agreement or find out whether they propose to leave.

Morally, I think your tenant is being unreasonable and I don't think it right that the tenant only gives you 9 days notice ... but if they do leave on the date that the fixed term is due to expire then I am not sure you can demand the 1 months notice or the additional rent.

Assuming the fixed term doesn't end in 9 days time ..... I totally agree with Melboy .... and make them stay the extra month and deduct any outstanding rent from their deposit ... and refuse to give them a landlord reference if they try and hold back the rent .....

Good Luck

Mark

Yes, I was assuming that the 6 month contract was not coming to an end and had gone beyond that timscale.

Incidently, I had a Tenant, a few years back, who gave me just 4 days notice of termination and that was at the end of a 6 month AST......up until that time and in spite of being asked by myself about her intentions she gave no indication that she was leaving but leave she did and there was nothing I could do about it.

Morally wrong... Yes legally wrong.... No.

Mel.

Archived