Landlords Gas Safety Checks

mad_maz

Hi

We have just had the annual Landlords gas safety checks carried out on one of our properties, where the tenants have their own gas cooker. Our Landlord certificate shows that a visual inspection was made of the cooker, and that it is "not to current standards (plugged up restricted x2)".

I have spoken to the company that carried out the checks to ask why an appliance belonging to the tenants is shown, as I always believed it was only the goods that we, as Landlords, supplied that were included. They advised that they have to do at least a visual inspection of all gas apliances, so that if something happened, eg. gas explosion, the company are covered. They stressed that it is not the responsibility of the Landlord, but I would like to know how this affects us.

Should we contact the tenant and tell them that they have to sort out the sub standard apliance and provide proof of having done so? Should we just write to the tenants and advise that we are aware of the sub standard appliance and it is their sole responsibility if any damage occurs at the property, as a result of it?

Has anyone else encountered this type of problem?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Maz

I am a semi retired company director of a Heating Company ( in a previous life) so what I have to say by way of advice you may take it or leave it at your own discretion.

The Landlord is always ultimately responsible for the safety of ALL gas appliances irrespective of who owns what.... including cookers.

The gas company who undertook your safety certificate would not only have carried out a visual check they would have, by law, carried out a safety check of the cooker for correct operation etc. before issuing a gas safety certificate.

If there is any doubt about the serviceability of the gas cooker as fitted to YOUR rental property then it must be repaired or replaced and signed off as such.

The fines to Landlords for gas safety issues are very high as has been shown in recent court cases and quite right to....gas is dangerous if installations are not regularly checked inspected or appliances not serviced.

Mel.

Wow thanks for that Melboy

Does that mean that we shouldn't allow tenants to put their own gas appliances in our properties?

The Gas company definitely didn't do a full inspection - only a visual - and the gas cooker is LPG.

We will write to the tenants this evening and advise that they need to repair, or replace, the cooker and that we will require evidence that they have done so. But, what if they don't, should we issue notice to them (they have proved to be 'difficult' tenants in the past)? We haven't come across this scenario before so are grateful for any advice.

Maz

Wow thanks for that Melboy

Does that mean that we shouldn't allow tenants to put their own gas appliances in our properties?

The Gas company definitely didn't do a full inspection - only a visual - and the gas cooker is LPG.

We will write to the tenants this evening and advise that they need to repair, or replace, the cooker and that we will require evidence that they have done so. But, what if they don't, should we issue notice to them (they have proved to be 'difficult' tenants in the past)? We haven't come across this scenario before so are grateful for any advice.

Maz

Peronally I would not let tenant's have their own gas cooker. I have a tenanted property with a gas cooker installed but it is mine and I look after the safety and repair issues.

If the cooker LPG or gas, was defective then the person who carried out the test or inspection should have noted it on your Landlord's safety certificate and a copy of which would have been given to your tenant and a copy to you and one for his/her records.

Mel.

I agree with Melboy - yes, whoever owns it, if the cooker is unsafe it must be rectified or replaced, preferably by the landlord to bring it fully under landlord control. If this is the case I would inform the tenant that if he doesn't immediately make it safe and properly certified, this is what you intend to do forthwith, no negotiation.

However I have had an instance when the inspector will record that an installation "does not meet current regulations", when it is safe. Your cooker issue needs to be checked with inspection agency to find out exactly what they mean.

(The flue of my rented property boiler, if installed today under latest building regulations, would need to be further away from a party wall. It is however regularly certified safe. After several years of issuing "does not meet current regulations" forms the inspectors have since stopped doing so! When the boiler is eventually replaced it will most probably be a condensing one needing to be fitted with a 'flue manager' extension to allow use of existing outlet location through the wall.)

Archived