Damage limitation by landlords with young tenants

Mortitia

Hi all,

A friend at my gym asked that if I was renting to under 19's would I ask for a guarantor - yes I would but she had also been asked to sign a standing order in favour of the landlord of her daughter in case damamges were done to a flat where 5 girls were sharing. This is in addition to deposit and the rent.

The landlord would immediately take payment for the damage from the parents of the girls under this system. I advised her not to go ahead but does anyone else do this? It is a new strategy on me.

What do you all think?

Mortitia

?????????

A standing order is not the same thing as a variable direct debit. A standing order is an instruction from one to their bank to send to a nominated acc a sum of money on a dated basis - it is not a system where 3rd party can come and empty or indeed remove any funds from your acc.

Either you or your friend is confused here???

I wouldn't rent my flat to 5 girls under 19 in the first place. Talk about asking for trouble in the future.

Prepare a space on this Forum for details of how it all went wrong........lol

Mel.

Hear hear - well said Melboy - when I was thirty years younger I dreamt of going to a party hosted by 5 nineteen year old females ......

Then I woke up and the place was trashed .......

Are you mad ...... your investment property is one of your most valuable assets ...... I would not let to ANYONE under twenty three .....

Good luck (because you are going to seriously need it) !!

Mark

Archived