Energy Performance Certificates for Landlord's Properties

Melboy

As from 1st October 2008 this is going to be a mandatory requirement for all Landlord's I have been informed today.

Is this true? 'cos I thought nothing had been decided as yet?

Hi Melboy - it's been a while !,

Yes - it is true - Energy Performance Certificates will be required for all NEW tenancies created after October 1st 2008.

See statement from Government web site below :-

From 1 October 2008, if you are renting out your property, you will need to provide a certificate to any prospective tenant. There is no need to obtain a Energy Performance Certificate for an existing tenancy. Once obtained, a certificate remains valid for up to 10 years. If a valid Energy Performance Certificate still exists when changing tenants no new certificate is required. This applies to both private and social sector landlords and tenants.

More money for the heating companies ...... !

Mark

Hi Melboy - it's been a while !,

Yes - it is true - Energy Performance Certificates will be required for all NEW tenancies created after October 1st 2008.

From 1 October 2008, if you are renting out your property, you will need to provide a certificate to any prospective tenant. There is no need to obtain a Energy Performance Certificate for an existing tenancy. Once obtained, a certificate remains valid for up to 10 years. If a valid Energy Performance Certificate still exists when changing tenants no new certificate is required. This applies to both private and social sector landlords and tenants.

More money for the heating companies ...... !

Mark

Thanks for that clarification Mark

I've been around the Forum Mark, but just reading other peeps contributions rather than contributing myself.

Mel.

When some one gets a energy cert.... scan it in and we can all print it off and use the same one !

What a load of cobblers .....Brussels at its best ...a great shame we didn't, as a nation, just stick to the sprouts version...?

Presumably any improvement to prop will require a new cert (more dosh) and soon to follow will be min specs (to rent without cert/Minregs will no doubt attract a large fine) , to be initiated by either shelter or CAB or a joint effort ...which no doubt all of us will exceed regardless, but will have to stump up more dosh to have yet another piece of paper to prove it.!!

As new builds are built to current regs ...dont suppose they will be exempted ?? doubt it.....shoot the next cash cow ? heaven forbid !!!

Great for job creation tho (this being the only "benefit") ......careers advisors now have so many more "new jobs" to recomend :

1 HMO inspector

2 Energy surveyor

3 Smoking police

4 TDS arbitrator

I'm sure there will be a few more ideas ....

Simon

When some one gets a energy cert.... scan it in and we can all print it off and use the same one !

What a load of cobblers .....Brussels at its best ...a great shame we didn't, as a nation, just stick to the sprouts version...?

Presumably any improvement to prop will require a new cert (more dosh) and soon to follow will be min specs (to rent without cert/Minregs will no doubt attract a large fine) , to be initiated by either shelter or CAB or a joint effort ...which no doubt all of us will exceed regardless, but will have to stump up more dosh to have yet another piece of paper to prove it.!!

As new builds are built to current regs ...dont suppose they will be exempted ?? doubt it.....shoot the next cash cow ? heaven forbid !!!

Great for job creation tho (this being the only "benefit") ......careers advisors now have so many more "new jobs" to recomend :

1 HMO inspector

2 Energy surveyor

3 Smoking police

4 TDS arbitrator

I'm sure there will be a few more ideas ....

Simon

so good he said it twice. haha

I know I harp on about 'rogue' LL's and some get a little peeved at me for this, but don't we think as a group of great LL's that this is another introduction that will prevent these rogues running inefficient houses and environmentally 'unfriendly' properties?

I know that this will incur extra expense and I have no idea how much this new 'service' is going to cost but spread over a 10 year period it shouldn't hit too badly apart from the initial outlay I guess.

Maybe a small increase in rent to cover this will suffice.

Do people realise that my aim is to eliminate the 'rogues' from the system leaving us good LL's to clean up?

This is what we do with the 'rogue' agents locally, I have no hesitation in 'slating' the opposition, highlighting their poor service at every inconceivable opportunity. You should read some of the adverts I place in the papers here!! haha

The more rogue LL's that are identified and are prevented from 'trading' the more Tenants there are for us!! :D

Lar Lar land. The HSSRS is there to reduce the impact of dodgy landlords, the Energy Performance Certificate has absolutely no bearing on a landlord's willingness to respect his tenancy obligations. For example, your 10 year old boiler has been serviced every year, works fine & passes the annual check. However, now along comes EP assessor, tells you it doesn't meet current legislation and immediately gives you a warning to rectify. We know who the rogues are & it's not the landlord in this example nor many others.

Hi

I saw this coming and I plan to get on the course to write my own and maybe help out a few local friends. Its not cheap but if you ave as many prop as me it will be cheaper than the £100 a time est fee.

You need a new cert for each new tenancy and every year, thats a lot of certs!!

Could be a lucrative skill too.

Oliver

£100 a time est fee.

You need a new cert for each new tenancy and every year, thats a lot of certs!!

Could be a lucrative skill too.

Oliver

Oliver

where is this documented ?

as i knew nothing about it !

Simon

Just found this :

The fee structure will be based on property value:

0 to £150,000 £80

£150,001 to £250,000 £90

£250,001 to £500,000 £100

£500,001 to £1,000,000 £130

£1m plus £150

All plus VAT

Your Course Advisor can tell you

more about the course, industry,

qualifications, changing career

and answer your questions.

All you have to do is call New

Career Skills.

For More

Information Call 0845 643 0164

Your 3 Quick & Easy Steps To Being A Qualified DEA

STEP 1

Home Study (About 40 Hours)

This consists of 3 modules including Soft and Technical Skills & Virtual EPCs.

STEP 2

5 Days Practical Training

Day 1 Aim: To introduce candidates to the practical training and develop candidates’

understanding of domestic dwellings; including construction types,

age of buildings, heating systems and controls.

Day 2 Aim: To introduce candidates to the equipment needed as a DEA and

its use. EPC methodology, techniques and data collection.

Day 3 Aim: To introduce candidates to undertaking an EPC at a domestic

property.

Day 4 Aim: For candidates to undertake 2 EPCs of assessment and produce all

the documentation required.

Day 5 Aim: For candidates to undertake the GOLA end test and then prepare

for Step 3 of the training programme.

STEP 3

Home Study - 3 EPCs (About 40 Hours)

This module consists of you completing 3 EPCs in your own time and submitting

them to NCS for assessment.

http://www.career-changer.co.uk/energyasse...ses_April07.pdf

if you want to know more !

At £100 a pop and possibly 2 per year this is going to be a tad expensive .........

Cant find any info on new one being required on each new ast tho ....anyone know more

Simon

Simon

"The HSSRS is there to reduce the impact of dodgy landlords"

Isn't the HSSRS only in place to sort HMO's or am I mistaken and misguided??

And yes they are there to 'reduce' the impact of dodgy Landlords but once you have an 'impact' then the damage has been done surely?

I have to apologise about my knowledge of these new regs with regard to the energy certs and take a back seat until I know more.

Council's can use the HSRSS for any property they choose to inspect and there as a baseline for the council's min acceptable standards, with enforcement procedures for those landlords that don't comply. Typically, if a tenant reports a problem to the council they will use the check list to asses the standard of the property for habitation. This weeds out dodgy landlords, whereas the EP cert has nothing to do with a property being assesed as fit for habitation, just how energy efficient it is.

whereas the EP cert has nothing to do with a property being assesed as fit for habitation, just how energy efficient it is.

Or so it will be to begin with........followed no doubt by a min "acceptable efficiency level" which will apply to the rented sector ...so no doubt we will probably spent far more money on investment prop than we do on our own homes ..something a lot of LL i know are more thaan accustomed too..............and no doubt penalties for non compliance........

I'm completely with Oliver on this one and will almost certainly be taking time out to become a qualified DEA

S

Anyone know a good cheap course provider for EPC qualifications? One to suit a mechanical CEng with existing knowledge of energy and heating principles.

I was offered a HIPS course at £10K up front with £4K reimbursed if I worked very hard for that provider for a year or so after certification.

Mark

Mark, which website did you get this from ?

Simon

So we all pay £2000 plus to become DEA's and hope to save a bit of cash and make a bit of cash and then the torys get in. I though i read somewhere that if they get in they will srcap HIP's and as EPC's are part of it will that go as well?

Then again the torys are supposed to be a bit green nowadays so they might keep that part.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????????????????????????????/

Fully expect Tinky Winky, Dipsy and Po to be behind this .....and prob turn up to do the inspection...

Simon

and don't forget Laa-Laa??!

I really cannot the see the point EP certificates in rented properties, do you really need a piece of paper with some numbers on it advising someone if place is fit to live in? Another administrative money wasting exercise.

Does this apply to any rented property irrespective of how many bedrooms e.g. even if less than 3 bed?

I expect it doesn't apply to new builds residential or commercial?

Ha!.........

Finally i have found it .

Homes will require an EPC on rent from 1 October 2008. Commercial buildings > 500m2 will require an EPC on rent from 6 April 2008 and all remaining commercial buildings will require an EPC on rent from 1 October 2008.

Property particulars and making EPCs available to prospective buyers and tenants

The EPC and recommendation report must be made available free of charge by the seller or a landlord to a prospective buyer or tenant at the earliest opportunity and no later than:

when any written information about the building is provided in response to a request for information received from the prospective buyer; or

when a viewing is conducted; or

if neither of those occur, before entering into a contract to sell or let.

An energy performance certificate does not have to be made available if:

the seller believes that the prospective buyer or tenant is unlikely to have sufficient funds to purchase or rent the property or is not genuinely interested in buying or renting that type of property; or

the seller or landlord is unlikely to be prepared to sell or rent out the property to the prospective buyer or tenant (although this does not authorize unlawful discrimination)

http://www.communities.gov.uk/planningandb...cecertificates/

S

Archived