How many tennant you can have small HMO?

Abdul

Hello,

In the small HMO (C4) are we only allowed 6 tenants Max or also forming 6 households.

6 individual forming 6 households and what about 6 related couples also forming 6 households does that mean we can have 12 tenants in 6 rooms?

HMO EXAMPLES

3 brother or sisters living together are 1 household – NOT an HMO

3 friends living together are 3 households – IS an HMO

2 couples living together are 2 households – IS an HMO

1 couple and 1 single unrelated person are 2 households – IS an HMO

To be classified as an 254 HMO the property must meet the standards defined in the description above, and meet the standard conversion test, self-contained flat test or converted building test. The full definition of all HMO’s can be found in the Housing Act 2004 Sections 254 to 260.

A section 257 HMO is a whole building that has been converted into self-contained flats that meet specific criteria. The full details of what constitutes a section 257 HMO is under the additional licensing section.

And

C4 Houses in multiple occupation - Small shared houses occupied by between three and six unrelated individuals, as their only or main residence, who share basic amenities such as a kitchen or bathroom.

I've been watching property programs on television and I get the impression that nobody worries about how many tenants they have. They cram as many as they can in and rely on the overworked councils to police the industry. Perhaps the TV producers are biased but they never show the opposite side of story......do they ?

Some HMO restrictions are based on local authority requirements. My LA has a requirement thet is classified as an HMO if you have four or more separate families. I have four people in one property but they are two couples so it is not classed as an HMO. 
My daughter at Uni has friends who’ve been ‘encouraged’ by landlords to say they are in relationships with each other for the LL to agree to rent to them. HMO landscape is not black and white. I am very glad my daughter is at at a college where she gets three years in halls! 

1 hour ago, fionaf said:

Some HMO restrictions are based on local authority requirements. My LA has a requirement thet is classified as an HMO if you have four or more separate families. I have four people in one property but they are two couples so it is not classed as an HMO. 
My daughter at Uni has friends who’ve been ‘encouraged’ by landlords to say they are in relationships with each other for the LL to agree to rent to them. HMO landscape is not black and white. I am very glad my daughter is at at a college where she gets three years in halls! 

I'd imagine any breaking of the rules would likely invalidate insurance (+ mortgage, lease, contracts etc). If there were a serious problem e.g. a fire....the landlord would be in a spot of bother.

1 hour ago, Richlist said:

I'd imagine any breaking of the rules would likely invalidate insurance (+ mortgage, lease, contracts etc). If there were a serious problem e.g. a fire....the landlord would be in a spot of bother.

The landlord would also not be able to use a section 21 as it would be invalid and its also liable for a chunky fine. This landlord is leaving himself wide open for a bit of student blackmail. 

6 hours ago, Richlist said:

Property in question is not mortgaged and insurance is very much covered. In fact the insurance company does not differentiate between two lots of hardworking NHS nurse couples over a single professional family with young children we’ve have had in the past.

10 hours ago, fionaf said:

Property in question is not mortgaged and insurance is very much covered. In fact the insurance company does not differentiate between two lots of hardworking NHS nurse couples over a single professional family with young children we’ve have had in the past.

Then clearly you are not breaking the rules. My comments were in response to the mention of your daughters friends who had been 'encouraged' to lie,  presumably so that the property could avoid being classified as an HMO.