Late with rent

stephanie

I have a tenant found through Your Move. They started their tenancy at the end of March. Every month the rent has been paid late. Your Move have a system in place where they let the landlord know when the rent is ten days late. They also send a letter to the tenant. Every month I have chased up the late rent, even phoning the tenant myself. The tenant should have a standing order set up, but has paid in the end, in the bank, by debit card. Your Move now want to know if I want to continue with the tenant, who was on an initial six month contract. I'm not sure whether it's the tenant who is to blame or Your Move. Your Move suggest that it's the tenant. Last month I sent Your Move a letter saying if the rent was late again I would cease using their services, as they were not fulfilling their side of the bargain. I've had no reply. What do I do next?

Hi

The problem lies with the tenant who appears to be trying it on sounds too painful for me.

Take your moves advice and serve notice for September before its too late and get a better tenant.

I serve after two weeks arrears unless special circumstances.

Let us know how you get on, I find giving the tenants some formal docs helps them to focus on what’s important.

Oliver

Hi Scoobie,

I think you should serve notice ASAP as well.

As landlords we enter into a very straightforward contract with our tenants - we provide them with a well maintained home and they pay the rent on time and in full. You have kept your side of the bargain - the tenant hasn't kept their side of the bargain - so GET RID.

Good luck,

Mark

Unless the Tenant can provide proof that it is Your-Move at fault (very unlikely!) then I would agree with the above comments of getting rid of this Tenant asap.

The Standing Order shold have been in place by now and that of course is the Tenants responsibility to organise.

Yes ok, so most of you think I should get rid of the tenant. However, she is still paying, albeit late. If I get rid, then immediately I'm losing money whilst trying to find a new tenant. The reason I blame Your Move is that if I was managing the situation I would have been far more active in getting the tenant to set up a standing order and pay on time. Comments still welcome.

Well, in that case it has to be direct letter to the Tenant outlining your concerns about late payment and what would appear to be no standing order in place.

See what they have to say for themselves.

Mel.

Looks to me like the agent is doing their job but if matey hasn't got funds in his account then no amount of standing order requests will result in a payment. If a s/o payment is missed, banks don't subsequently pay it later in the month once there are sufficient funds...

Speak to the tenant, it may be that pay day doesn't coincide with rent due date. This is quite possible and some struggle for the first few months, playing catch-up. There are ways of reducing rent owed by increasing the monthly rent slightly, over say a 3 month period. If you think the tenant could turn out ok then give that a whirl, it can and does work occasionally.

You desperately need to speak to Your Move to get a better picture of what's ACTUALLY happening here.

We set up a s/o for 3 days prior to the rent due date so the monies are cleared on the exact date the rent is due. Should ONE payment go amiss I'm straight onto the tenant for an explanation. The Landlord will have notification the NEXT day, not 10 days later. This is why so many tenants run up huge debts because they've not been chased effectively. This I think is the fault of a lot of agents.

If you can't make sense of the situation with the Tenant, serve notice and get rid, advertise and refill.

If you can't make sense of the situation with the agent, give notice and get rid, try someone else or go it alone!

Get rid of agent ( not always as simple as it sounds !)

I have a T who is

AWAYS late

ALWAYS needs chasing

ALWAYS behind

But has his own business with a "queer" cash flow- which i am fully aware of !

He has been with me for 5 years

Should i get rid of him ?

No .................Why ?

Because to date ..........HE HAS ALWAYS PAID AND THE HOUSE IS IMMACULATE !!!!!!!

Simon

Yes, I'm inclined to stick with the tenant, the house is looked after and the rent is paid... eventually. Your Move on the other hand seem to be doing very little for their fee. So how do I dispense with their services?

Check your agreement with them scoobie. There should be some sort of notice period stated, don't be surprised if they've placed a 'minimum fee' for cancellation of the agreement/contract but to me it appears they are getting money for nothing

Archived