Tenant/ Landlord

bil8999

Interested on views regarding tenant/ landlord rights, ie no fault eviction etc.

Been reading about tenants in Cornwall being asked to leave because landlord wanting to sell property, either because they want to move into property, children want to move in or mortgage has increased so need to sell.

Tenants say landlords have to much power over tenants!.

Local council asking people with spare room to prevent homelessness .

Any thoughts as to how this can be addressed?

Labour think landlords have too much power over tenants, and have plans to reform the private sector even more.

The Shadow Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Lisa Nandy, says: "For private renters we will tilt the balance of power back to you through a powerful new renters’ charter and a new decent homes standard – written into law."

No surprise really, but;

"balance of power back to you" is a handy but inaccurate sound bite. Renters have never had so much power over us, so if power is to be returned then it should be to us.

Why does she think that legislation that is even more authoritarian 'to us' is going to help those that can't get on the property ladder, and so are in need of rental opportunities? For sure the local Gov't's aren't filling the housing gaps, affordable or otherwise.

It has been clear for a decade or few that there is no easy answer to the housing issues of the country. The politician's and and media find it easy to demonise us greedy, abusers, for running such a business.

I have said before that the houses are there and so some one will live in them, so houses aren't disappearing. The new crisis is temporary, and due to LL's having had enough of being attacked continually, and wanting out - me too. But I don't see a short term fix, the houses in some areas will become more affordable (although mortgage rates and lending criteria are big factors there). But I'm not really seeing a reduction in demand. True, some areas are stagnating, but as soon as the BofE relax their % increase strategy the markets will move again, so demand, and property inflation looks to continue before long.

How to address the ex tenants homelessness in the short term, well w/o my being forced they 'aint having our spare rooms. So big corks for politicians big mouths is all I can suggest.

There appears to be increasing number of of elderly people with interest only mortgages, selling at a profit , stashing the proceeds away, moving into rented, claiming credits and making up the rent  difference from the stash.

Also the number of people living in assisted living accommodation, its as if there is a growing number of people that want looking after while the rest of us pay for it.

I really feel for someone that is homeless due to no fault of there own.

Its not possible to give everyone a home, we need to help in other ways.

Only my opinion for what its worth.

Let's put things in perspective.

I had a mortgage on my own home between 1973 - 2016.......43 years. During some of that time mortgage rates were 8%-11%. I had a wife & 3 children and one income. For a large part of that period we had no spare money for holidys or any luxuries. Apart from child benefit we had no Government help. So I kind of feel that I've done my bit, I've gone without, I've worked hard & come out the other side in a very comfortable position.

Often what I see now are people who don't want to put themselves out. Id like to know of those people pleading poverty just what their lifestyle consists of. Foreign holidays, smart phones, subscription TV service, couple of dogs, regular hairdresser & nail bar vists, latest fashions etc etc ?

There are going to be genuine hardship cases but I don't think the charities (of which my wife works for one) do enough checks before providing assistance. 

Buying a house has always been difficult.....it was back in 1973. But all my kids have managed it, all my cousins, neices, aunts uncles & friends. One or two of them have rented or moved in with family in order to save a deposit but they have all managed to buy. In fact I can't think of a single family member or friend who is currently renting. 

Renting is a lifestyle choice. The Tories sold off the Council housing stock so I guess they are to blame for the shortage. It ain't my problem.

If mortgage rates to up we pay more. So, why shouldn't tenant pay more ? What makes them feel they are immune to cost of living increases ? It's difficult to have sympathy. On the radio this week was a woman with 4 rental properties. Her mortgage rates have increased and she said she now has to do 3 jobs to bring in enough money to pay the loans because she doesn't want to increase her rents.  Good luck with that......why can't the tenants take on 3 jobs ?

Lots of landlords are selling up & leaving the rentals market because they have had enough. Can t blame them really.

12 hours ago, Richlist said:

Let's put things in perspective.

I had a mortgage on my own home between 1973 - 2016.......43 years. During some of that time mortgage rates were 8%-11%. I had a wife & 3 children and one income. For a large part of that period we had no spare money for holidys or any luxuries. Apart from child benefit we had no Government help. So I kind of feel that I've done my bit, I've gone without, I've worked hard & come out the other side in a very comfortable position.

Often what I see now are people who don't want to put themselves out. Id like to know of those people pleading poverty just what their lifestyle consists of. Foreign holidays, smart phones, subscription TV service, couple of dogs, regular hairdresser & nail bar vists, latest fashions etc etc ?

There are going to be genuine hardship cases but I don't think the charities (of which my wife works for one) do enough checks before providing assistance. 

Buying a house has always been difficult.....it was back in 1973. But all my kids have managed it, all my cousins, neices, aunts uncles & friends. One or two of them have rented or moved in with family in order to save a deposit but they have all managed to buy. In fact I can't think of a single family member or friend who is currently renting. 

Renting is a lifestyle choice. The Tories sold off the Council housing stock so I guess they are to blame for the shortage. It ain't my problem.

If mortgage rates to up we pay more. So, why shouldn't tenant pay more ? What makes them feel they are immune to cost of living increases ? It's difficult to have sympathy. On the radio this week was a woman with 4 rental properties. Her mortgage rates have increased and she said she now has to do 3 jobs to bring in enough money to pay the loans because she doesn't want to increase her rents.  Good luck with that......why can't the tenants take on 3 jobs ?

Lots of landlords are selling up & leaving the rentals market because they have had enough. Can t blame them really.

Yes, the example you have given is of many people of our generation, we need to encourage people to be less reliant on the system, we need to help the hard working people to achieve there goal of owning there own property, and inactive people back into the workplace for there own well being.

This will be beneficial to both renters and landlords.