Landlords Targeted In Data Security Crackdown

Grampa

A data security crackdown has started on landlords who collect, store and use the personal information of tenants without registering with the data protection watchdog. Warning letters are heading the way to thousands of property letting businesses and landlords. The ICO letters encourage landlords holding, storing or processing tenant data to register with the watchdog. The letters urge every property rental business processing personal information to pay a data protection fee unless exempt.

The UK has an estimated 2.5 million landlords renting out 4.5 million homes. However, few are aware that they must register with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). If landlords do not register and pay the fee, they risk tenants complaining about the misuse of their data, resulting in an investigation and penalties from the ICO.

Landlords need to register with ICO if they keep information about tenants like:

1. Names
  2. Addresses
  3. Birth dates and national insurance numbers
  4. Passport, visa and driving licence details

A landlord must show one of three interests to process data lawfully:

1. Legitimate interest, like keeping records on a current tenant
  2. Contractual interest, which is passing on a tenant’s name and telephone number to a tradesman
  3. Legal interest, which is when a landlord must comply with a legal requirement, such as completing tenant information on filing a deposit for protection

2 hours ago, Grampa said:

A data security crackdown has started on landlords who collect, store and use the personal information of tenants without registering with the data protection watchdog. Warning letters are heading the way to thousands of property letting businesses and landlords. The ICO letters encourage landlords holding, storing or processing tenant data to register with the watchdog. The letters urge every property rental business processing personal information to pay a data protection fee unless exempt.

The UK has an estimated 2.5 million landlords renting out 4.5 million homes. However, few are aware that they must register with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). If landlords do not register and pay the fee, they risk tenants complaining about the misuse of their data, resulting in an investigation and penalties from the ICO.

Landlords need to register with ICO if they keep information about tenants like:

1. Names
  2. Addresses
  3. Birth dates and national insurance numbers
  4. Passport, visa and driving licence details

A landlord must show one of three interests to process data lawfully:

1. Legitimate interest, like keeping records on a current tenant
  2. Contractual interest, which is passing on a tenant’s name and telephone number to a tradesman
  3. Legal interest, which is when a landlord must comply with a legal requirement, such as completing tenant information on filing a deposit for protec

Looks like I'm probably ok.

Obviously I know their names & their address is one of my properties but everything else is dealt with by my agents.

I probably know more about my neighbours than my tenants.