Cooker

stephanie

I've rented out my house unfurnished. I left the cooker there, but told the agent it was not included in the rental. Two weeks after moving in the tenant has said that the main oven wasn't working. I told her it was not part of the deal, but then had a phone call from the agent saying they had checked and because the cooker was there when she viewed the property I had to get it fixed. I've told the agent if they've told her it was part of the deal they can fix it. I wish now I hadn't left it in the property. I'm inclined to say to her she can have it if she wants it. What shall I do?

Oh, and the other thing is, to switch off the shower you have to pull a chord on the landing. I've been told by the agent to get if fixed as it is a health and safety issue. I can't see that myself, but they said the tennant might slip getting out of the shower to switch it off. But, surely you have to get out anyway? Any thoughts?

Yes, you should have thrown out the cooker before the tenant moved in.

I made a similar mistake myself, on one tenancy I left the washine machine there, days later it broke!

I have since made sure that if I do leave a washing machine for example, that I clearly tell the prospective tenant that it is not my responsibility and put in a clause in the tenacy agreement. The free tenacy agreement from this site is a word document and you can easily add / ammend certain clauses (within legitimate perimeters).

Your problem is that you've used a letting agent (I do it myself as I don't generally trust letting/estate agents).

You have the moral high ground, because you stated to the agent that the cooker was not to be included. That's the problem with agents, they are often not thorough enough and when they fcuk up they often won't take responsibilty. They have made the mistake in not telling the tenant that the cooker was not to be included. You should carry on arguing your case, speak to the manager, if you're still not getting any joy, perhaps suggest a comprise (go halves on a new one). It's an expensive mistake which you wont be making again.

Regarding the shower, I assume it's not a power /electric shower, because for safety reasons, they really do need a safety switch off cord inside the bathroom. Having a shower cord on the landing does sound abit weird, maybe you should shell out on a good plumber to move it. You could then look at it as one less thing to worry about and equally important, the cord being on the landing may have put off future potential tenants. It's a learning curve, but the more things that are right with your property the less things you'll need to do on it, consequently minimising void periods.

PS I know it's not for everyone, and as long as the property is close to where you live, next time, why not try finding new tenants and managing your property yourself? That way if misunderstandings happen at least you only have to put yourself to account and not have to put up with lying, manipulative agents.

Yes, you should have thrown out the cooker before the tenant moved in.

I made a similar mistake myself, on one tenancy I left the washine machine there, days later it broke!

I have since made sure that if I do leave a washing machine for example, that I clearly tell the prospective tenant that it is not my responsibility and put in a clause in the tenacy agreement. The free tenacy agreement from this site is a word document and you can easily add / ammend certain clauses (within legitimate perimeters).

Your problem is that you've used a letting agent (I do it myself as I don't generally trust letting/estate agents).

You have the moral high ground, because you stated to the agent that the cooker was not to be included. That's the problem with agents, they are often not thorough enough and when they fcuk up they often won't take responsibilty. They have made the mistake in not telling the tenant that the cooker was not to be included. You should carry on arguing your case, speak to the manager, if you're still not getting any joy, perhaps suggest a comprise (go halves on a new one). It's an expensive mistake which you wont be making again.

Regarding the shower, I assume it's not a power /electric shower, because for safety reasons, they really do need a safety switch off cord inside the bathroom. Having a shower cord on the landing does sound abit weird, maybe you should shell out on a good plumber to move it. You could then look at it as one less thing to worry about and equally important, the cord being on the landing may have put off future potential tenants. It's a learning curve, but the more things that are right with your property the less things you'll need to do on it, consequently minimising void periods.

PS I know it's not for everyone, and as long as the property is close to where you live, next time, why not try finding new tenants and managing your property yourself? That way if misunderstandings happen at least you only have to put yourself to account and not have to put up with lying, manipulative agents.

Thanks for that Reg. I'll continue to deny responsibility for the cooker. I might just suggest the tenant can have it if she wants if. I'll sort the shower out. Yes, I take your point about the letting agent, problem is my life is so busy it's just a convenient option that I need to put up with for now. Cheers.

Hi scoobie,

I appreciate your comments about the cooker but, whilst all this is being debated on this forum and argued with the letting agent, your tenant is unable to cook their tea !!

It seems to me that the element in the oven has probably broken - this will cost about £60 to fix - your tenant, presumably, is paying you hundred of pounds rent every month and needs to cook their tea if they are to continue to have the strength to work (so that they can continue to earn money to pay the rent).

My point is this ...... the happiness of your tenant is the most important issue in all of this otherwise they are likely to quit the tenancy and find themselves a landlord who will maintain the oven because, from their perspective, the oven belongs to YOU ....

So, my advice, pay the £60 and get the oven fixed before the tenant finds themselves another landlord !

Mark

Concur absolutely -

If there is a cooker there when the tenants take possession, whether or not it's supposed to be there or you just forgot to pick it up it is effectively a part of the tenancy and as such should be your responsibility as landlord.

Call it tax deductible goodwill. Smile, fix it, the tenants think you are great, stay longer, are more consciencious and everyone is happy!

Look after your tenant but don't let your agent off the hook. Did they ask you to complete any sort of pre-letting preference form? It is not at all unusual for older appliances to be left in properties and stated as provided on a non-repairing basis ie being left in the property for use by the tenant if they wish but not repaired/replaced if broken. Your agent should have included a statement to this end on the inventory and within the tenancy agreement.

Re- the electrical isolator pull cord switch for the shower it has to be within arm's reach of the bath (1metre) in order to be reached in the case of emergency. Your installation is incorrect and must be rectified asap as you are leaving yourself wide open to a claim against you in the event of an incident/accident for unsafe/incorrectly installed electrical installation.

Archived