Best events for landlords?

tomfarley

Hi everyone,

I’ve been spending my time in lockdown looking for seminars and conferences to watch & get ideas to make my flats more attractive for tenants…

there seems to be a lot of events geared at firms, but not so much for buy to let landlords like myself. What are your favourite events??

I found this one today that seemed interesting (esp. since I had a tenant complain they had a bad time in one of my HMOs some years back and I’ve a little obsessed with tenant feedback since…)

https://www.tenantsatisfactionsummit.com/

Any other recommendations?

I have never been to one of these types of events in my life......I prefer Rolling Stones concerts 

However, I feel I should express my opinions on tenant satisfaction.

Tenants come with different personalities, wants, expectations, backgrounds and experiences. So satisfying one particular tenant might not satisfy another. Creating a happy tenant must start with you and you picking the right person to suit the tenancy.......many people don't do that. 

Then there are those landlords that try to over achieve by jumping every time a demanding tenant shouts frog. Or they provide to much stuff that cuts into their profit margin and develops the wrong attitude within their tenants mind.

Picking the right tenant, providing a clean, tidy and functional home with clear guidelines should result in a happy tenant. If it doesn't remember, there are plenty of others who will be willing to take their place.

Never felt the need to attend any seminar. I have learnt a fair bit off this forum over the 15 years it's been going and what I don't know or not sure of I ask a person of knowledge, sometimes Grampa 😀  well, as a long time serving Letting Agent on the front line and landlord himself he must have picked up a few pointers over the years.  😅

I would be very happy to live in any one of my properties and if it's good enough for me then it's good enough for my tenant but there again I do have my properties decorated and maintained to an excellent standard and for the first week or two I do ask my new tenants if there is anything else they require ( within reason of course ).   My longest serving tenant is 14 years so I must be doing something right.

What I find works for me is..... after a tenant has rented from you for 5 years and you are happy with their performance is....

1. Make sure the rent is just below the market rent for your property.

2. Pay them back 50% or more of their deposit.

3. Send them a Xmas & birthday card with a nice bottle of wine.

The result is.....they are always very grateful and extremely happy. They find it difficult to move because everywhere else that's comparable has a higher rent and they have to find the deposit.....they will usually already have spent the refund from you.

12 hours ago, Richlist said:

What I find works for me is..... after a tenant has rented from you for 5 years and you are happy with their performance is....

1. Make sure the rent is just below the market rent for your property.

2. Pay them back 50% or more of their deposit.

3. Send them a Xmas & birthday card with a nice bottle of wine.

The result is.....they are always very grateful and extremely happy. They find it difficult to move because everywhere else that's comparable has a higher rent and they have to find the deposit.....they will usually already have spent the refund from you.

We also make sure that we charge less than the market rent. 

May take on board the 50% refund and bottle of wine at xmas

An interesting pointer for any new person entering the World of being a landlord. Having been told they can achieve a rental figure for their new BTL and assuming they have managed to find a tenant to pay that higher price I can guarantee that the tenant will be looking over the next 6 months for something better and cheaper and move on. 

This has happened many times in my favour. My last but one tenant moved out precisely due to this condition when his current landlord had put his rent up by £40 pcm after 6 months initial occupation mainly because this Newbie BTL Landlord was informed that this is the "thing to do" by his LA.  The result was Newbie landlord ended up with a 3 month void period of no rental income AND he had to reduce the rent to gain a new tenant.

Self defeating or what eh!

For 3 years now I have had this tenant who is very happy with his "cheaper and nicer" property and has no intentions of moving away.

"Happy Tenant= Happy Landlord". This should be any Landlord's motto for a successful business.

(Any clever Dickies can translate that motto into Latin for me?  😀 )