Jump to content

Troubling elderly neighbour

Debbie Gee

Recommended Posts

I own a flat which is tenanted and internally is in excellent condition. There is an elderly man of 87 living upstairs who is a sitting tenant.

The freeholder of both flats is his landlord, and has done NO Maintenance apart from urgent repairs for more than 25 years. 

The old mans flat is in a terrible condition and over the 17 years that I have owened my flat, there have been several serious problems affecting my flat because of this. Unfortunately he now has dementure and last week left his kitchen tap running for several hours with the plug in. There is no floor covering in his kitchen so all water spillages and leaks go straight through the floor.  This has caused severe damage to my flat and has badly upset my tenant. 

I called social services and they are going to call him but they have no concerns whatsoever about my problems, only his protection. I am at my wits end over this and just dont know what to do. Any help gratefully received.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the basis that you presumably pay service charges to the freeholder or their managing agent. ......

1. Do the service charges include buildings insurance ? If so, damage to the structure of your flat can be claimed (ceilings, decor etc).

2. Normally contents insurance is the responsibility of the landlord or their tenant. If you have none then you could claim contents costs from the tenant above in the small claims court.

On the overall situation regarding no buildings maintenance for 25 years........if you pay service charges there are rules which the freeholder must comply with. Producing annual audited accounts to fee payers is one of those rules. You need to provide more information for a more detailed reply.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

The situation looks complicated, and you are right. The social services don't care about possible damage by this man to others, I don't say he is a danger, but he needs the help of the specialized service. Well, in this case, you can try to sue the landlord when the situation happens again. Also, you can try to get some money from charity organizations and send the elderly man to the proper assisted living place so he will live in comfort and you will don't have any problems. You can look online for the list of qualified assisted living properties in California that offer discounts to older people with dementia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...