Section 21

bil8999

Hi to all

It states that you can not serve a section 21 if you have not supplied the tenant with EPC, how to rent booklet.

We done neither of the above, can we now serve an up to-date EPC and how to rent book, leave it a few months then serve section 21.

Unless there is another way round this situation. 

Thanks in advance

I believe the rules came into effect in October 2015.

What I have done when I have failed to meet requirements is to supply the missing documents to the tenants and to ask them to sign a receipt to say they have been received.

You don't need to tell the tenant that you have made a mistake and that they should have been supplied at the start of the tenancy......unless they specifically ask. I'm not suggesting you lie, just that you avoid providing that information.

Most tenants are not aware of the rules that landlords have to comply with so there should not be any problem.

As you have failed to provide these documents are you also aware of all the other numerous rules that you have to be meet ? 

e.g. You also have to supply tenancy agreement, gas certificate, smoke alarms and documentation, carbon monoxide alarms and documentation, template for reporting repairs, confirmation deposit is protected, confirmation prescribed into has been provided etc, etc......

8 hours ago, Richlist said:

I believe the rules came into effect in October 2015.

What I have done when I have failed to meet requirements is to supply the missing documents to the tenants and to ask them to sign a receipt to say they have been received.

You don't need to tell the tenant that you have made a mistake and that they should have been supplied at the start of the tenancy......unless they specifically ask. I'm not suggesting you lie, just that you avoid providing that information.

Most tenants are not aware of the rules that landlords have to comply with so there should not be any problem.

As you have failed to provide these documents are you also aware of all the other numerous rules that you have to be meet ? 

e.g. You also have to supply tenancy agreement, gas certificate, smoke alarms and documentation, carbon monoxide alarms and documentation, template for reporting repairs, confirmation deposit is protected, confirmation prescribed into has been provided etc, etc......

Hi RL

Yes that's what I thought of doing, got my guy calling tomorrow to complete EPC,

Archived