Council Whacking with more and more charges

yesplease

I have a flat in a big house with Camden Freeholders, rented out. As well as paying service charges, fair enough, I have been charged by Camden just under £10,000 which is my contribution to major external works carried around 2015. I am paying this off in monthly instalments of approximately £350.00 per month.

Now I understand that further works, this time to the inside are planned and that I will get another big bill.

Two other leaseholders have said that they have not been billed for the external works and when I took this up with Camden, they said that they are not permitted to give me  information.  Can I enforce them, check somehow to show me accounts to show that other lessees have been billed and not just me?  See receipts to show that work has been done?

Is there a limit to the amount of works that can be charged in a period?

I have asked several times for a schedule of works and never received one. Can I do anything about this?

Sorry to ask so many questions, 

I am obviously concerned and would much appreciated help.

There are rules (legal obligations) on freeholders with regard to service charges, supplemental charges and major works.

I am not an expert but one of my freeholders issues a very usefull sheet that highlights some of their obligations. It runs to two full A4 sheets so I'm not going to reproduce it here.

It includes....

You have the right to request a written summary of the costs. You have the right to require the freeholder to provide you with reasonable facilities to inspect the accounts, receipts and other documents. You have the right to have an accountant or surveyor to audit the financial management of the property.  Etc, etc.

There are lots of organisations who will advise and assist. Suggest you talk to your agent or landlord association.

• 2 months later...

Hello

Sorry I have not replied,  you may have read about the fire in Hampstead where someone died. My tenant got out with no possessions and  homeless but alive  and I have therefore been rather stressed and busy. It seems that the charges are now history and I have to research other matters to see that all is done properly. Thank goodness my tenant found somewhere.

Hello

Sorry I have not replied,  you may have read about the fire in Hampstead where someone died. My tenant got out with no possessions and  homeless but alive  and I have therefore been rather stressed and busy. It seems that the charges are now history and I have to research other matters to see that all is done properly. Thank goodness my tenant found somewhere.

Hello

• 6 months later...

Hello all, thank for your help so far.

There is a meeting with Camden (the freeholders)for the lessees, only one at a time.

I am going but do not want to antagonise them.  Problem is the fire was last November and it appears nothing has been done the building is still uninhabitable.

I am insured for loss of rent for only a little while longer. What questions need i ask? Yes I seem desparate.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Archived