burst pipe internal leak

marco_c

hi everybody

I had a burst pipe and internal leak in the hall

the insurance keep asking:

We need to know the location of the leak to help us understand if this is an issue with an underground service pipe or internal plumbing. is the leak before or after the internal stop valve?

from the insurance booklet it states:

What is covered... g. Escape of water from, or the freezing of, fixed domestic water installations, or escape of oil from fixed domestic oil heating installations. What is not covered... • Loss or damage occurring when your home is unfurnished or unoccupied unless you have complied with the unoccupancy condition on page 43. • Damage caused by the escape of water from guttering, rainwater downpipes, roof valleys and gullies. • Where the escape of water causes, or is caused by subsidence or heave of the site on which your buildings stand or by landslip

http://static.halifax.co.uk/assets/p...ons_policy.pdf

not too sure what it is covered 

any idea?

regards

Pipes don't normally burst this time of the year cos it ain't cold enough yet.......unless you are in the far north or outside the UK.

Is it a new property, is it a flat ?

If you had a pipe burst, where is the pipe, what does it go to ? Surely you know where the water has come from ?

I think we would need a bit more info to give you a valid response.

Thanks for your reply Richlist

it is a terraced house, quite old

the pipe is running from the main street under the slates in the front garden , then in the property under the tiles in the hall, and finally to the bathroom to the stopcock

the leak was under the tiles in the hall so to keep the costs down we run a new pipe bypassing the burst one avoiding breaking the floors

i hope it help to clarify better

any idea what they need and what is it covered?

many thanks

If the leak was under floor tiles in a hallway then that is an internal leak?  You should be covered by this on insurance?

Corroded pipework? Pulled joint connection?

The only thing I would say is that insurance companies are not keen on paying out if they have tight insurance clauses and you may find that you are not covered because the pipework is leading up to an internal stop-cock and most insurance companies will not cover any leaks in pipework before an internal stop-cock.  

You would need a separate insurance for that from your local water company.

Good luck with trying though.  Halifax should make it clear to you whether you have a claim or not.

Yes I agree with Melboy.

In New houses now the mains water supply is laid in blue plastic pipe up to the mains stopcock. This helps to minimise any leaks as the pipe doesn't suffer corrosion and remains a little flexible to accommodate ground movement.

In leasehold flats any costs for repairs on pipework prior to the main stopcock is the freeholders responsibility.

I suspect the cost of repairs is your responsibility unless your insurance policy specifically includes cover.

hello everybody

Thank you for your replies

The leak was after the internal stopcock and  from the insurance booklet both look covered

as it states:

What is covered... g. Escape of water from, or the freezing of, fixed domestic water installations, or escape of oil from fixed domestic oil heating installations. What is not covered... • Loss or damage occurring when your home is unfurnished or unoccupied unless you have complied with the unoccupancy condition on page 43. • Damage caused by the escape of water from guttering, rainwater downpipes, roof valleys and gullies. • Where the escape of water causes, or is caused by subsidence or heave of the site on which your buildings stand or by landslip

http://static.halifax.co.uk/assets/p...ons_policy.pdf

however as you clearly stated the insurance is finding any reason to avoid paying

Thanks again all

I'll keep you posted

Regards

Marco, your post makes no sense....

First you tell us the leak is in the hall. The pipe enters the house runs under the hall floor into the bathroom and up to the stopcock.

Then you tell us the leak was after the stopcock......

It can't be both......Which is it ?

hello everybody

yes the leak was in the hall. The pipe enters the house where there is the main stopcock (it is just under the stairs leading upstairs)

then the pipe runs under the hall floor into the bathroom

however their reply was: that the claim is not covered  due to it being an internal leak and this is all you are looking to claim for is to repair  the pipe. We are unable to cover the cost of repair of the pipe this is because when a pipe burst this is normally caused due to wear and tear which is a policy exclusion.

I can reply  that their policy booklet states: what is covered: escape of water and: we will pay up to 5000 for any one claim for the necessary costs that you incur in finding the sourse of damage to your home caused by escape of water

there wasn't any wear and tear! if you are not paying for the escape of water and the cost of lifting flagstones and soil to supply and fit new pipeworks and re-instate flags and stones for which I am clearly entitled the policy makes no sense at all

Thanks for the clarification Marco.

I'm going to agree with your insurers. If the water supply pipe under your hall floor was in copper then its likely to have bust due to corrosion. Copper pipe needs to be protected from concrete by sleeving or wrapping. If it's in steel, again it's likely to be corrosion.

Your insurance covers damage caused by the leak not just a repair to a gradually deteriorating fault such a corrosion probably due to age.....which comes under wear and tear.

This is a similar insurance claim to yours Marco...............

4 years ago during a violent thunderstorm with very heavy rain the ceiling of my bedroom filled with water and collapsed. The fault was due to a dislodged roof tile which had moved in the strong winds and allowed water to run down the inner roof cap sheet and onto the bedroom ceiling bringing on the collapse.

The insurance claims covered all the damaged goods in the bedroom and paid out. The roof however was not covered and I had to pay for ceiling repair and roof repair.

My Roof = Underfloor pipe of yours.

Archived