No SDLT Surcharge on Student Accomodation

Richlist

Thanks Richlist. Interesting. Is that because it is a different class? i.e. not residential.  I am no expert but I don't think University places demand will be going up massively anytime soon. Yes those currently going through the school system are increasing at least until one year after my Daughter was born 2005, she is currently in Y8 so a few more years expansion for the potentially university aged population, then the birth rate tailed off a bit. This year weren't Uni places down by 4% or thereabouts? That must have an effect on demands for accommodation. My daughter is a bright girl at a top school but I wouldn't be disappointed if she decided to become a plumber rather than her current ambition to be an astrophysicist. It would help more with the family business and also she'd be in far less debt, however we would also be very proud if she did want to go to Uni and we'd support her (possibly buying up a few places along the way...)  I know many who have bright kids thinking along the same lines, either duck out of Uni altogether or go along for the ride with property at the same time. 

No idea.

What I do know is that this type of accommodation is always in demand. There are plenty of new, purpose built units being produced all around the country some with guaranteed yields.

Then I just discovered there is no 3% SDLT surcharge.....which grabbed my attention.

In a changing world this may turn out to be a gift horse .......do your own research.

Archived