References

Ellieben

Property is managed by Letting Agents.  Tenant found and references checked. Tenant has given notice to existing Agency. His references all excellent and he has given notice to present landlord.  However his existing Letting Agents have not given their reference yet in spite of my LA chasing this up.  He is due to move in in a weeks time.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My advice is always take Rent Guarantee Insurance OR get a home owning guarantor.

The insurers will have a list of criteria that the prospective tenant must meet and they will handle all the necessary references.

No one is obliged to give a reference. If the present LA is declining to give a reference it could be for a few reasons. They may have decided that they could only provide a negative but honest reference, this could lead to conflict with their T, even litigation in the extreme.

They may require a fee for the service and have not been paid.

They may just have a policy of not providing them as there is no advantage to them.

As an alternative 'you' could call them to see if they will give a verbal appraisal.

You might ask the potential T for a rental statement, then visit their present property (my strategy is around 6pm with little notice), a check of kitchen and bathroom give a good impression of life style. How they live now is how they will live in your property.

None of which will help you much if they don't pay you the rent.

Only insurance or a guarantor will help you there.

Personally I prefer a tenant that keeps the place tidy AND doesn't leave me out of pocket by not paying the rent.

Archived