Student room problem

quantum37

Hi everyone, I firstly must apologise in advance for this rather unusual problem. I am an ordinary private residential landlord. My daughter has just started university and started off with accommodation provided by Fresh Student Living, one week in she returns home and has no desire to return. Problem now her flat is on 44 week short term tenancy. The Fresh Student Living website states that all flats in the block are taken, so not much assistance there for reletting. It is also difficult to engage anyone from FSL in a meaningful conversation to release my daughter from the tenancy. So what options are open to her? Is it a case of pay up and shut up or try to get FSL to agree to a compromise as obviously the room has the prospect of remaining empty until next July. Any advice would be gratefully received.

A landlord has no obligation to end a tenancy. But they should be open to finding a replacement and the current tenant pays all the associated costs that could go with it and possibility an admin charge as well.

I cant believe they haven't been asked the question before.   

From their perspective.....you are responsible for the rent whether you stay or vacate so there is no urgency on their part to do anything. If you wait for them to find a replacement you might be waiting a long time and still paying rent whilst you wait.

In your shoes I'd formally notify them of the situation and then make every effort to relet the accommodation if that is allowed whilst making sure any potential replacements meet the landlords criteria.

Advertise anywhere and everywhere...... certainly local to the university and in any student publications/web sites and perhaps local newspapers.  It's likely to be a lot of work & time consuming for you but your incentive is to save a lot of money.

Good luck.

Archived