Should i end tenancy

bil8999

Hi to all

Got a young tenant 30ish, he has had mental problems, part of his rent is paid direct he makes up the difference.

He now owes £240, 8 weeks of his part of the rent due.

Tried to contact him no reply.

Police are involved as he is now classed as missing person.

Should I start eviction process, and if so what is the correct procedure.

Council are still paying part of the rent.

I have advised his social worker of the possible evection.

Thanks in advance.

So far you can only serve the repossession notice. S8 is faster but more complicated. By the time the S21 has expired this situation will likely have reached its own conclusion.

I would wait a few days and serve as S21 if you still have concerns.

The downside of letting to tenants with MH problems is that it often goes wrong.  I'm not sure but you could need extra insurance for your let property as the risk is greater.

Definitely start Section 21 if he is outside the fixed period of the tenancy agreement.  If not Section 8 might be the way forwards unless you can get him to surrender the tenancy.

27 minutes ago, Mortitia said:

The downside of letting to tenants with MH problems is that it often goes wrong.  

There is also the question of whether they had the metal capacity to sign and understand the tenancy in the first place.

How you are supposed to establish this I don't know. I guess we could set a test for the tenants but if that was the case a big chunk of mine would fail anyway as they have only just evolved to standing upright.:o

Do you think that shows further advantage of the g'tor Grampa?

I had a T in 2009 that 3 days after signing rang to say the voice in his head told him he couldn't live in the flat. As a paranoid schizophrenic he said I wouldn't want him as a T. As the T or g'tor hadn't made me aware before hand I told them the tenancy was for 6 months unless they wished to negotiate a closure.

Actually last week he rang again for a flat I'm advertising, I told him to go and talk to his head.

Having a guarantor is never a bad thing to have even if they arent a home owner as putting pressure on them will mean they are likely to lean on the tenant to pay up a lot harder than us as landlords or agents ever can. Plus you can use them to negotiate as a go between to get resolution on any issues. 

We have very little rent arrears situations nowadays compared to a few years ago.

Yes agreed.

I was also thinking along the lines that both T and g'tor are unlikely to be from the cuckoo's nest so at least there is one person who can be shown to have responsibility.

Update, police are still going to the flat to check that he has not returned, what a waste of time, I have already asked the other tenants to phone me if he comes back.

Is that the extent of them searching for a missing person.

If I could turn the clock back I would join the public sector, I would be retired now on a index linked pension, instead of still building houses.

I was asked the other day by CITB if I would recommend young people to enter the building trade, no way''''''''  

Archived