Additional Tenant

Bold Archie

My existing long standing single parent (+ child) tenant wants me to add boyfriend (child's father) on to tenancy. I have not got a problem with him, or her for that matter.

My thought process is to ask existing tenant to formally request this to happen at an anniversary date in the future. Get the guy to complete an application form and I will reference him as normal.  Create a new joint tenancy along with all necessary paperwork including inventory to commence on following day. Return original deposit. Protect new deposit (In effect same money, because I would return it to myself and pay it back in).

It's going to be a pain - so my question is: Is this the right way to do it, or is there an easier legally compliant way? i.e. by adding his name to the existing tenancy agreement

Thanks

Personally I find this doesn't happen very often but I always avoid doing this whenever I can.

The admin' for letting property now is quite lengthy  and adding another tenant is virtually as difficult as starting with a complete new tenancy...

In fact, the more I think about it, there is no such thing as adding another tenant. There is .....cancelling an existing tenancy agreement by mutual consent and starting a new one....but all very difficult with tenant in situ.

Ast

Deposit protection/ prescribed info

References.

Gaurantor/ rent guarantee insurance

Inventory and schedule of conditions

Issue help/ information sheet

Provide list of any restrictions

Provide book on controlling condensation

Epc certificate

Legionalla risk assessment and tenant advice sheet

New Government book 'how to rent'

Landlord contact details and repairs template.

Smoke alarm status. Checked and working

Co alarm status checked and working

Tenant documentation checklist

Leasehold permission to let from freeholder

and all of that needs to be done with tenants in situ which is even more difficult than at the start of a completely new tenancy.

I'd want a large sum of money to agree to do it...

..even then I might decide to refuse.

Good luck.

10 hours ago, Bold Archie said:

It's going to be a pain - so my question is: Is this the right way to do it, or is there an easier legally compliant way? i.e. by adding his name to the existing tenancy agreement

Thanks

I think you have answered your own question really. There is no easy way of doing it. Such is the legislation that is required to protect the landlord and the tenant now should anything go wrong in the future you, as a landlord, have to cover your back as much as you possibly can.

As Richlist has said  ( and you have )  you have to go back and start again with the points covered by Richlist.

Archived