Insurance for flats (not building)

Grampa

Having a handful of flats that I personally own and rent out I was wondering what it any, insurance cover other landlords out there take out. I don't mean rent protection type products.

The building insurance is covered by the service charges and administrated by the block agents. 

I used to take contents insurance. Approx' £10K of cover used to cost £50/£60 per annum, per flat. I did this because I used to let mostly fully furnished property.

Over the years I changed to mostly unfinished (I still provide white goods, carpets, curtains, light fittings & vac cleaner) & decided it wasn't worth the premium. I no longer bother with any form of contents insurance prefering to self insure.

I don't take any other insurance on leasehold property other than RGI.

Just block insurance on the whole building, no contents insurance, rent protection.

I know of one landlord who only takes out liability insurance, no buildings insurance, has done this for 30 some years and never had a claim!!!

Has he just been very lucky or  clever !!!

I am not overly concerned with the contents (carpets & curtains etc) It was more on the line of PI insurance.

I know the block insurance has normally a certain element of  PI but that would be for communal/common areas not for any issue that happens inside the flat.

Also you may not be aware a tenant (on a AST) successfully claimed and won a substantial sum through the courts from a landlord  (leaseholder) for a trip hazard in the common area when he had a fall. Don't know why it wasn't claimed via the block insurance.

Only one of mine has 'common areas' but I see no need for PL - just another excuse for more payments out - the block insurance does have quite a high PL cover I note.  Do you know what the payout was Grampa?

Do you have officers and directors insurance though?  We started doing that a couple of years ago after a lessor tried to sell the roofspace and things got nasty.  No claim was ever made in that case but one director was very upset.

Archived