Simple question

Dave A

Just send them a short letter along the lines of

Please find below my new address in Pursuant to Section 48 Landlord and Tenant Act 1987

XXXXXXXXXX

Then when you do a new contract for the tenant update the details on the ast though if the tenancy is periodic it doesn't matter and sending the above is sufficient.

I deal with a landlord on a regular basis who will not divulge his address - even to me and I act for him. In fact he uses a PO Box number at 'convenience address' in London.

Someone must pick the mail up regularly or it is diverted as a letter I sent Friday last week got me a phone call on Monday. He also denies having an email address - not so - a quick look on 192.com was very informative. I wonder why the secrecy?

If I had a client like that it would ring very large alarm bells with me. Have you done a land registry check to make sure he is the legal owner of the property

Also if you act for him in the role of rent collection and passing it onto him less any fee you may charge and it turned out he is a non-res you would be held responsible by the IR for not deducting tax and be asked to pay it yourself.

Public / Social housing being sub-let privately Mortitia ?

A lot of that goes on in London particularly. There was a big clamped down recently on this practice by the authorities.

Yes they are registered at Companies House and I have seen him (head of the family) - at auction when he outbid me for a property in the block where I already own one.

They may well do social housing lets but the one I act for is a regulated tenant. Accounts seem all above board and are up to date - just doesn't like attention I'm guessing.

Archived