Electrical Inspection Certificates.

Melboy

Yes this topic again and unbelievable to me this is the latest release on this from the RLA

Electrical installation checks: Government have rejected the idea of compulsory electrical installation checks. Again, a future Government may well take a different view.

When you think of all the cra@ppy things landlords have to deal with you would have thought that by now in the 21st Century that a safety certificate was essential.

I wouldn't get to excited over Liverpool council licencing. From April 1st they need Government permission to introduce selective licencing.

If they haven't got that permission you don't need a licence or an electrical inspection certificate.....unless you have HMO.

its already here

Liverpool’s Landlord Licensing Scheme means that from 1st April 2015 all private landlords in the city must apply for a five-year licence for each of their rented properties.

The scheme is being introduced in Liverpool under the government’s selective licensing laws and signing up for it is compulsory.

Claire.........This is the very latest news released..........

Minister of State for Housing and Planning for the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), Brandon Lewis, has written to Local Authorities about revisions to Selective Licensing schemes. New stipulations, coming into force on 1
st
April, will prevent Local Authorities from being able to create ‘blanket’ schemes on privately rented properties.

Private landlords have been subjected to increasing numbers of licensing schemes as Local Authorities assess how best to regulate a growing Private Rented Sector (PRS). However, new rules will require these Local Authorities to gain approval from the Secretary of State for any selective licensing scheme which would cover more than 20% of their geographical area or would affect more than 20% of privately rented homes in the local authority area.

The RLA has welcomed the publication of draft government proposals that seek to restrict the scope of selective licensing schemes. More and more councils are turning to authority wide schemes that require private landlords to pay for a licence for each property they let. The draft regulations wold force councils to meet an additional range of conditions relating to the number of PRS properties in an area, poor housing conditions, migration, deprivation and crime. The RLA has always opposed blanket licensing schemes, that are more about creating council jobs than improving standards.

Certificates Essential? Perhaps they should be, but in absence of regulation I would use judgement relating to age of house and condition of wiring. In my experience most replacement electrical work by professionals is now IEE regulated and gets certificated.

Archived