Gas or electric?

cas

Hi there I just purchased a property recently and i'm looking to install some sort of heating system, there is not any gas installed in the property to install a meter would cost about £300 - £500.To include the boiler and radiators would cost in the region of £1500 all in.

I'm mot so worried about the cost but in terms of practicality if I were to go with an electric set up i'd be guessing that it would more or less be maintenance free.Would this be a beter and more cost effective option, and in letting terms would this help or hinder its market appeal?

Hi Cas!

I guess it depends on the type of property you have. Try and see what the neighbours have done! Personally I think a gas system is more preferable in terms of re-sale value, but you will have to get it certified each year and there's more to go wrong (I've lost count of the number of tenants who have called to say their heating has failed!) An electric system is a real fit-and-forget solution that will run and run.

If it's a little one bed flat you can probably use electric, otherwise gas is probably preferable.

Hope this helps!

Trevor.

I rent out a studio flat with a couple of storage heaters in it. I think they are a good solution for that flat.

A house with electric heating would probably put tenants off. If you have gas and something like a British Gas service contract it's no great hassle. It costs from £12 per month.

http://www.britishgasboilers.co.uk/homecar...-five-steps.htm

Three of our properties are Wimpy boxes,they are 2 bed,all have the original (about 15 years old ) nightstore heaters,they have never been a problem and have not put tenants off renting. With British Gas home care,I have just received a renewal notice with gas cert. for £250 per property and I have 6 properties with them ,but think its time for a change!!.

We charge £38 inc vat for 2 appliances. £45 inc vat if the distance is over 10 miles.

Most Landlord's have a boiler service at the same time with their Landlord's certificate. That is a proper strip-down service and not just a visual like BG do and that will normally come to around £65-£70 (inc. certificate) depending on the boiler.

London prices are of course much dearer than I have quoted.

Archived