housing benefit

bil8999

Hi to all.

Tenant of 2 months now has to sign on for HB, she will only get £50 per week, the rent being £80 the balance being £30, says she will pay if and when.

She wont sign pay direct form, can I demand it is paid direct after 8 weeks arrears, we will also send form 21.

First time this has happened to me so have got off light all these years, by all accounts.

Thought of telling council that I have taken pity on her and now don't charge her any rent , that way she wont run off with any money at the end of all this.

What do you think.

I assume her contract is for 6 months? If so issue a Section 21 to expire 'after (last day of 6 month tenancy)'. Do not mention you are doing this because she has gone on HB. You cannot get possession by S21 in the fixed term.

Unfortunately she will be in arrears before you can get the council to pay you but it may be worth a try now putting your case to them saying you think she will default. In the future councils are going to find it harder to get landlords to take on tenants like this.

If you don't charge her any rent then you create an ongoing tenancy with no rules - don't go there. Make her stick to the terms of her tenancy agreement as strictly as you can. Also look at Section 8 as a way of getting possession - slightly more difficult but read up on it. The better informed you are the better you can deal with it.

A landlord is not another branch of the DSS or social system.

Yes help your tenant by all means but for me I would insist on the DSS paying me directly and not the tenant and any tenant refusal would set the alarm bells ringing and reaching for the end of tenancy agreement.

You can request payments direct from the council as soon as the tenant is 2 months in arrears/owing which is 1 month and 1 day not 2 full months. Quote regulation 95.

Serve a s21 now (make sure it is done correctly) as back up and verbally let the tenant know it wont be enforced if the rent is paid in full or a payment plan put in place that is kept to, to bring the arrears up to date.

Don't delay and don't be taken in by excuses and promises of payment without proof.

Archived