Front Door Problem

Richlist

Got a property we are preparing to sell......done loads of work to make it look good.......one of the last jobs was to paint the front door.

We'd taken off all the brass work and polished it to within an inch of its life and then HORROR of HORRORS.......we had forgotten that normal exterior gloss paint needs around 16 hours to dry and therefore we wouldn't be able to shut the door. As we don't live at the property that's virtually an impossibility. So, we thought we might be able to use a 'quick drying paint.......touch dry in 2 hours, which is more like it. We then discovered that shouldn't be applied under 10 deg C.......pretty impossible with the current weather.

Tip: Don't try preparing a property externally in midwinter.

I have done this myself RL. Never paint outside woodwork in December. I remember I had to put a warm air blower on the door front to assist the drying time all day long and that did the trick to cut down drying time. The electricity bill must have cost me a fortune but my buyer had to be in before Chrismas so the rush was on to complete the work.

I don't have that problem anymore as my properties all have UPVc doors fitted now thank goodness.

I don't have that problem anymore as my properties all have UPVc doors fitted now thank goodness.

Oh how the rich & wealthy upper classes live.......the rest of us can only dream of aspiring to such luxurious features. Bet you've got an inside loo & glass in all the windows as well. :)

Oh how the rich & wealthy upper classes live.......the rest of us can only dream of aspiring to such luxurious features. Bet you've got an inside loo & glass in all the windows as well. :)

Don't worry RL One day you will get there. :D

Provided you can buy trade price and have the skill required in fitting a UPVc front door it is an economical way of replacing a knackered old wooden door.

I am just about to.....when the weather warms up a bit..........replace two worn out rear wooden casement windows on one of my renteds as it was never done by the original owner who had the rest of the property windows replaced with UPVc. at some point in the past and very nice quality ones as well and they look very good.

Why do that? Leave out two rear bedroom window's Beyond me..

Now replacement uPVC front doors is something I already know a little bit about. A couple of years ago I had X4 of these front doors fitted on some of my properties over a 2 day period. As far as I can remember they were £695 each. Tax deductible of course, so that brought the price down a bit.

Shortly after I needed a new front door on my place in Spain. In the local town there was a window & door firm run by an English family. They replaced my front door in Spain with a new uPVC door for around £550. Now its fair to say that front doors in Spain are different to most of those in the UK . They don't have a letterbox (post is delivered to separate mail boxes), a knocker (most properties are behind high walls so there is a bell on the gate) or numbers (the numbers are on the walls or entrance gates) or spyholes (not needed).The amazing thing was that the doors were made in the UK to order & then shipped to Spain.

I only replace doors & windows when I have to or if I intend keeping the property for any time.

Archived