Jump to content

No central heating


Recommended Posts

Hey there,

New to the forum, so please be gentle!

Grateful if anyone has any information regarding whether a house that does not have central heating (it has a gas fire in the living room and fixed wall mounted gas heaters in the bedrooms and an immersion heater with timer) is suitable to let out?

Is it just a case of getting a gas safety certificate for the 3 gas heaters? If so, does anyone know a corgi registered engineer in Oldbury (West Mids)?

Thanks in advance.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Fi,

From a gas safety perspective - as long as a Landlords Gas Safety Inspection is undertaken by a qualified CORGI engineer - then there should be no problem in letting the property out.

However, if you are going to let the property to a family with children then those types of heater can get very hot on the outside and might be a danger to a young child so I would recommend either buying fireguards or, if budget allows, upgrade to a proper central heating system (that will increase the value of your property)

Good luck


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fi........get rid of the heaters......they are an absolute menace. Install proper central heating.

I believe this is a tax deductable expense now to get the property into a rentable proposition.

Regards Mel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it Melboy?

I have always been led to believe that when you purchase a property, all renovation works and installation of new boiler etc to get the property to lettable condition are not tax deductible.

Please advise if this has changed,


Plym 77 is our tax expert but as far as I am aware there is provision to claim back as a tax break if you install heating into an unheated house by way of central heating for the benefit of a Tenant.

In any event, if you ever came to sell the property the installation cost would be offset against capital cost for Capital Gains (less tax to pay).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all

To clear this up, Melboy is correct - central heating installation would be tax deductible on the basis that the 'entity' is the house and that before the work there was heating, and so therefore you are merely upgrading to 'modern equivalents' - this is very much the same as double glazing replacing old single glazing. The installation of a modern equivalent is therefore not an improvement, but a revenue expense.

Hope this clarifies for all



Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...