AVOID Gumtree

Richlist

I've got a nice little maisonette with a spiral staircase that I'm planning to sell after Christmas.

Its been let fully furnished so I'm trying to sell all of the contents. I've managed to sell a few bits via Ebay and have also put a few bits on Gumtree.

WHAT A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME that's been. My bit of Gumtree seems to be frequented by poorly educated, time wasting people who either don't bother to turn up or who think its OK to turn up a 3.00pm for a 2.00pm appointment. In the last 3 days I've 8 people fail to turn up.

Tip:

Never, EVER try to sell stuff on Gumtree.

I let my flat through Gumtree last September. Yes, the usual 3 or 4 Plonker's applied but I did end up with a very nice young'ish Fella who passed the "Richlist Guide to Successful Tenant Selection" ( and mine of course! ). :D

So far so good and the flat is immaculate which is unusual for a single Man I have to say.

As for selling through Gumtree I have sold items in the past but it is generally very slow and eBay is still the place to sell unwanted items and to buy items as well.

Gumtree is owned by eBay btw.

The bit I like best / least is when you delete an advert on Gumtree.....they ask you if it was successful......you can probably guess my response ! :angry:

Gumtree is owned by eBay btw.

Well I'm still learning something new every day....I had no idea Ebay were the owners.

The thing I noticed about Gumtree was the unusual amount of enquiring emails like "Hi... Is your ************ still for sale" Regards... Fred You would reply back..........

...............and then you would hear nothing else from them. One or two emails perhaps but it did seem rather a lot over a period of time with some items I was selling.

I did wonder if it was some form of Gumtree consumer marketing exercise at one point.

Archived