Letting to pets owners

Moonchip

hi, my name is Marcus, and i want to know what can i offer to landlords so theycan let me keep my 2 dogs.( golden retriviers)

this is what im providing but till now no landlords was interested or offer/ask me other requests.

-- the 2 dogs have eletronic chips associated to me and my wife address and passport

-- both dogs have international passpor ,register in uk goverment also associated to me and my wife

-- they have all vaccines and they take the product against flees monthly

-- both have dog trainig with basic obedience certificate

-- we have dog insurance that covers possible damages

-- they dont bark

-- we offer an additional 500£ deposit

-- we will provide house cleaning after we leave .

Although we are able to provide all of this even write this in the contract, no landllord ( at least no estate agent) that we talk , dont want to hear about dogs.

As soon as we say we have pets they quicly say "we dont have anything"

what can we do or offer more that allow us to at least negotiate with landlords/estate agents?

best regards

Marcus

It is all very well crowing about the niceness of your dogs but landlords and estate agents know that dogs can cause a lot of problems in properties and this leads to disputes with tenants later. We don't need the hassle and there are a lot of tenants out there

I would not let to someone with 2 dogs.

A way forwards may be to take a property not via an agent and expect to have to do some cleaning or decorating on the property (subject to landlord consent) to make it acceptable to yourself.

Moonchip...not all landlords are the same. Some, very few, probably the minority, WILL let to people with dogs BUT:

* They will set the criteria.......so it doesn't really matter what you offer. Its all about what they want in return for a tenancy.

* The properties which allow dogs will not be the best ones, in the top areas, in the best condition.

* There is, in all likelihood, going to be hassle, arguments, disagreements and deductions from the deposit at the end of the tenancy.

I, like other on this forum don't allow dogs or cats.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING would persuade me to change my mind.

Good luck.

Moonchip - even if you did give this extra large deposit there can be no guarantee that if damage were done that you would allow a landlord to keep the money. This would involve a dispute with whichever outfit was holding the deposit and loads of hassle all around.

The amount you are offering is not likely to alter things - a personal opinion.

In my experience you are more likely to having success in gaining permission from a landlord to have pets by starting out as a pet free tenant then after proving yourself a good tenant asking for permission then.

This doesn't help you now though I do admit.

well,it really sadness me this all situation, with the all the registrations done ,the money spent in dog training , toilet trainig, the hours and money spent to demonstrate the responsability that we have , the good references from our previous landlord, all that redudced to almost zero.

I really understand the landlord position in this, but i thought that with the micro chips, the insurance, the international passport, it would give some kind of safety net for the landlors .

thank your for thereplies to this post

best regards

Marcus

well,it really sadness me this all situation, with the all the registrations done ,the money spent in dog training , toilet trainig, the hours and money spent to demonstrate the responsability that we have , the good references from our previous landlord, all that redudced to almost zero.

You carried out those tasks to conform to what society in general expects not landlords in particular. Free will says we can choose out tenants and what they come with.

I hope you do find somewhere.

well not all pet owners tenants r evil encarnated ,there are still some honest and decent ppl.

the image that landlords have of pet owners in the uk is that we r the pure evil manifestation of satan himself.

but again like i said i undertand landlords position, but also suprises me that no one can find a way to give the safety net required to the landlords so this issue can be solved.

once again, i apreciate your time in this

best regards

Just an illustration. I'm a dog owner and a landlord. At the weekend, my lurcher cut his paw on something on the verge, no idea what. The cut was tiny, it only needed one stitch, however it opened an artery. My dog went nuts, we had blood spraying on the walls, the carpet, us, the ceiling, everywhere. It made a complete mess. We've had a dog for over fifteen years and never experienced anything like it. A completely freak occurence.

This is the point, dogs do not behave the way we do when their everyday routine goes out the window.

The possible situations are endless and it is a risk for a landlord that can simply be too great. Whilst you maybe prepared to hand over a large deposit, landlords are all too aware of the difficulties getting any of the money back should the need arise. Had this happened in our living room, the damage would have come to well over the £2000 you suggest.

It is not a case of being heartless, simply a practical financial business decision.

Sorry it's not of any help, but good luck with finding somewhere.

Dave

Archived