The Green Deal?

GDC

To all Landlords,

What are all your thoughts about The Green Deal and what do you know about it, is it something you have been thinking about getting involved in?

I just want to start a discussion really as to what people have experienced so far within the green deal and if anyone has any success stories?

Especially now as the government have taken powers in the Energy Act, to allow the creation of the following energy efficiency regulations in the private rented sector.
- landlords encouraged to take green deal out on all their properties, because as from April 2016, tenants will be able to demand energy efficient improvements that a landlord will be unable to unreasonably refuse.
- From 2018, it will be illegal for landlords to rent out a property with an EPC band of F or G, properties must be brought up to a minimum efficiency of an 'E' rating.

What are people's thoughts?

I have always seen a problem with any insulation program that involves leasehold property.

Many leases require freeholder &/or managing agents consent to alterations with high fees payable for that consent. Many freeholders will want to inspect the work, oversee the installation and then add charges for that admin onto the annual service charge account.

Its not always quite as straight forward as installation companies try to make out.

My thoughts are very straightforward. There is a massive shortage of rented property in this country, more and more private landlords are declining to accept DSS tenants, and I for one will sell my properties as soon as I can see significant capital gain as a result of the current inbalance of justice on the tenants side.

The government would do well to stop interfering and concentrate on much bigger issues.

Dave

Just more unecessary Government interference. Notice how legislation doesn't affect private householders at all.

They wouldn't dare do it for the fear of losing votes.

I fail to see how this will work in practice......

* Loft insulation....can't be fitted unless your flat is on the top floor.

* Cavity wall insulation....can't be fitted in isolation if your flat is part of a large block of multi flats.

* Double glazing.......windows often not the responsibility of individual leaseholders.

* Heating......Many flats are all electric with no gas supply so changes available are VERY limited.

That doesn't leave much that will make much of an impact on uplifting an EPC rating.

Perhaps the OP can now come back with his/her thoughts on FLATS.

Has the OP obtained this information directly from the Government source of Energy Act or an interpretation by suppliers and contractors seeking work? I would beware of the latter.

As I read the Energy Act 2011:

From April 2016 under Section 46 tenants will be able to 'request' (not 'demand') energy saving improvements and resort to courts if landlord is unreasonable. This applies to domestic private rented (PR) property. But see also Section 47 and 48 and sub clauses.

From 2018 EPC efficiency regulations Section 49 apply only to non-domestic private rented property.

The definition of each type of PR property is given under Section 42 of the act.

I would welcome a clear explanation of Section 42 definitions for a lay person such as I!

I suppose a good start would be a definition of what is 'unreasonable' by way of landlords refusing to insulate properties for all the reasons mentioned above. I bet someone has to go through court action before we get a meaning from government.

Most of the rental stock in the UK that will fall into these categories of F and G is old, (even built as late as 1985), difficult and expensive to insulate.

I am just about to embark on insulating the walls of a C1980 timber framed Barratt house by cladding the inside walls with 50mm insulated plasterboard, skim, replace skirtings and re-line window reveals with UPVC . Reason - I could see that getting tenants in future could be a problem.

This house has storage heaters (and all the probs that go with them) and am replacing with GFCH. Total cost around £5K but at present it is impossible to keep tenants - house too cold and bills too high with unsocial heating style.

Luckily property only cost 50K many moons ago but what other landlord in their right mind would embark upon such a costly project?

No I am not applying for grants as I don't want DSS tenants - I'd rather die. Am just getting on with it to my own high standards.

I am just looking at this insulation business on my properties now. If it's free, as they keep saying it is, then I will have the loft space topped up with extra insulation but that will be it as far as I am concerned. All my properties are d/glazed and modern.

Re. Loft insulation: One should ensure any cold feed pipes and tanks are inside insulation envelope because any un-insulated part of loft will follow outside temperature to within 5 degrees regardless of house heating, as measured in loft after improving insulation.

I learnt this the hard way in 2010.

Does it cover overseas property used as holiday lets ?

Be nice to get my Spanish property insulated for free......it can get down to -5 deg C in the winter and a good dose of insulation would mean the air con would be used less in the summer.

Any chance ?

Archived