Telephone cold calling to fit 'smart meters'

Mortitia

Just recently had an email from a newish tenant to say she was contacted by phone and told her meter was out of date, regulations say it has to be changed and that Siemens want to fit a smart meter for free.

I doubt that Siemens are doing the fitting but some spurrious money grabbing oiks will be.

I immediately smell fish. The meter is circa 1980 but I do have older ones and they all seem to work quite well without need for replacement.

Anyone else experiencing this yet? It may well tie in with previous post on Scottish Power not responding to clients so trying to do meter readings automatically.

My initial re-action is not to go with it. Any thoughts guys?

Personal choice Mortitia. I do know there is a policy whereby these energy companies want to have everyone on smart meters asap.

I probably wouldn't bother until I knew exactly what I or my tenant was in for by way of having one fitted.

I know a little bit about Smart Meters. Here's a detailed description..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_meter

Everyone will start getting them in the UK from 2015 to 2020.

Some energy suppliers can provide them now....for free (eg SPARK ENERGY). The main advantages are that they send energy usage data automatically to the energy supplier every 6-30 minutes, so no meter reader calling at your home. It can lead to lower fuel bills as there will be no estimates, no over paying and building up a credit or running up a debt. Accurate billing is the future.

I'm probably gonna have one fitted to my place soon.

Archived